Baked Ziti recipe perfect for a crowd or enjoy the leftovers for lunch all week long.
Baked ziti is one of those dishes that is very cheap to make and also makes so much that you’ll have leftovers for a while and can save some money by bringing it to work for lunch! Thinking of what to make for dinner, I realized, wow, I haven’t made baked ziti in years! I used to make it all the time in college because of the huge batch it makes. Follow these easy directions below and you’ll be enjoying this for days! Unless you make it for a large amount of people and they can’t get enough of it ;)
- 1 pound (1 entire box) of penne pasta — I use penne because it’s my favorite pasta, but you can use ziti or whatever you like.
- 1/2 an onion
- 1 and 1/2 jars of pasta sauce — I use 1 jar of spicy tomato basil and 1 regular tomato basil
- 3/4 bag of shredded cheese
- 4 links of spicy Italian sausage
- 1 pound of ground beef
- Couple shakes of red crushed peppers
- In a large pot, bring water to boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, dice up the onion and cut up the sausage into cubes.
- Once water has boiled, pour the entire box in the pot. Add couple drizzles of olive oil and salt.
- In another pot, put the onion, sausage and ground beef in and cook until beef and sausage are cooked through and onions are tender.
- Check on the pasta and cut the heat once pasta is al dente. It’ll finish cooking in the oven.
- Drain the water from the pasta pot and then pour in the meat and onion mixture into the pasta pot.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the entire jar of the spicy tomato basil pasta sauce and 1/2 the jar of the regular tomato basil. Stir it all together and add crushed red peppers. More if you like it spicier.
- After everything is mixed, pour 1/2 of the batch into a casserole dish. Smooth it out then sprinkle cheese on top until it’s all covered.
- Take the other 1/2 of the batch and pour on top. Then sprinkle more cheese to cover the top.
- Cover the casserole dish (so the cheese will melt smoothly and not burn or get hard) and put in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve with some parmesan cheese and garlic bread (if you want).