black beans & rice
Black Beans and Rice is a great weeknight meal that is simple, wholesome and packed with flavor.
It feels like ages ago that I made this, but I’m so glad to be sharing with you today because this tops my “one of the best easy dishes I’ve ever made and tasted” list. Really, it was super easy and this black bean mixture packs a punch. It’s got great flavor and it’s got the spicy kick you’re looking for. There is a bit of tang in there too. If you’re not ready for it, you may or may not give a funny face, but trust me — it makes a difference. Otherwise, this would just be another boring black beans and rice dish.
This recipe originated from my coworker, Jeff. He had it one day for lunch and let me try some. His wife and daughter were out of town so he decided to just throw this together one weekend and see how it turned out. When I had a taste of it, oh man, I knew I had to get the recipe. I knew Jason would love something simple but wholesome like this. Jeff said he didn’t really have a “recipe” since he literally just threw whatever he had in the pot that he thought would go well together and hoped for the best. He must’ve had his fingers crossed til his knuckles were white or something cause it turned out so stinkin’ good. He gave me an ingredient list and basic instructions and the rest was in my hands.
Trust me, y’all — you have to try this one for yourself. I know I say that a lot, but I truly believe in my dishes and do you really think I’d lie to you when it comes to food :)
This makes a lot and the leftovers are even better the next day. I seriously could’ve eaten this dish all week :) it didn’t last long though for Jason & I. We brought it for lunch and then had a little more later on in the week. I’m telling you — lots of leftovers! I brought a bowl in for Jeff to try and he said it turned out great :) I didn’t disappoint and ruin his creation!!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced (I had to use jarred jalapenos cause apparently grocery stores around me don't have fresh jalapenos -- yeah, seriously?, so if you're using it from a jar, grab 2 large fingerfuls of them and chop them up finely)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Any kind of rice
- In a large pot, saute onions, peppers, and garlic until the onions and peppers start to get soft. Then add in the bay leaf and cumin.
- Add in tomatoes, jalapenos, beans, and vinegar. Let simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add water to cover your mixture.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the bean mixture starts to thicken.
- Prior to serving, discard bay leaf and add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve over a bed of rice.