Brown Butter Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies
Brown Butter Toffee and Chocolate Chip Cookies are so good that they may be addictive!
Yes, I’m still in Florida. Yes, I have another cookie recipe for you. And yes, I have professed my undying love to brown butter.
You guys. I have never ever tried brown butter until these cookies and oh my gawd. I don’t know what I’ve been missing. I love brown butter. I don’t even want to use regular butter in anything anymore. I love the nutty aroma that brown butter has and I love the way it makes everything taste. It’s just that much BETTAH!
No, but seriously, my entire apartment smelled amazing. I made these the weekend the in-laws were in town (I made a lot, didn’t I? haha) and they went into the city to do touristy stuff while I decided to stay back and bake for the blog. They came back and said the could smell the aroma in the hallway. I can imagine because my entire apartment smelt of brown butter and I could live like that for the rest of my life. Ok, someone go invent a Glade plug-in that’s brown butter scent. Or better yet, how about a candle? Mmmmm
Not only do I LOVE brown butter (now), I looooove toffee and chocolate chips. Seriously, this cookie has.it.all. It’s the ultimate cookie. The toffee and chocolate play SO well with the brown butter. You guys, you HAVE to make this. Not only because brown butter is the most amazing discovery ever, but because this cookie is to die for.
I hope y’all have a great weekend and go make these cookies! I’ll likely be nursing a sunburn since I’m so PALE.
- 1¾ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 14 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup Heath toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Whisk the flour and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a small skillet over medium high heat, melt 10 tbsp. of butter and continue cooking until the butter is a dark golden brown and has a nutty aroma. This will take about 1-3 minutes, but you'll need to constantly swirl the skillet and watch it otherwise it'll burn!
- Transfer the brown butter to a heatproof bowl and then stir in the remaining 4 tbsp. of butter into the hot butter until it's completely melted.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add both sugars, salt and vanilla. Pour in the butter and beat until well incorporated. Add the egg and egg yolk and mix until smooth, with no sugar lumps in it.
- Let the mixture stand for 3 minutes then beat on high for 30 seconds. Repeat the process of resting and beating 2 more times until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just combined then stir in the chocolate chips and toffee chips by hand.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop, scoop dough onto prepared cookie sheet and arrange them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges are crispy and the inside is still soft.
- Let cookies sit on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.