Chicken and Chorizo Rice
It’s always so hard to get back into gear after a long weekend. You fall into a bad routine so quickly during breaks – eating all day, lounging around, going to bed at 2am…the list goes on. Today is definitely rough but we had a great, relaxing weekend. Hopefully you had the same and are easing back to the day to day grind.
Did I ever update y’all on the passport saga? I ended up getting it last Wednesday. It was crazy that paying that expedite fee actually worked. I was really shocked to find out that they had overnight shipped it on Monday and that I would be getting it the next day (although it was delayed a day due to bad weather in Arizona). Anyway – all done with passport stuff until 2023! However, I don’t know what is wrong with our mail guy. My old passport and marriage certificate (to prove the name change to the passport agency) got delivered to the SAME HOUSEHOLD that my “lost passport” in March got mailed to. Like how the heck do my passports keep getting delivered to the wrong house but all our other mail gets delivered to us? The darn lady that lives there also doesn’t ever read who the letter is to because both times she’s ripped open the envelope to find out that it’s NOT her passport & had to hang her head in shame as she delivered the opened letter to us. And not only that, this time, she ripped our marriage certificate in HALF cause she tore into the envelope like a vicious werewolf. UGH. So annoyed. Good thing it was just a certified copy and I got 4 others, but still – who doesn’t read who the mail is from before opening it?
If you’re into flavorful weeknight dishes with even better leftovers, this dish needs to be on your dinner plate. I was first drawn to this recipe because I love chorizo anything but then the more I read the recipe, I realized how easy it was to put together so I decided to give it a whirl. The chicken in the recipe didn’t have any seasoning except salt and pepper so I decided to give my new jar of herbs de provence a whirl. We put the chicken on the grill and oh my gosh. The flavors ignited. With the chorizo in the rice and the grilled herbs de provence chicken thighs – it was a really well tied together dish, even if it doesn’t seem like it would go together. You have to make this. I’m drooling just thinking about it. I loved having the chorizo rice for lunch the next couple days at work.
This chicken and chorizo rice has incredible flavor and comes together in less than an hour so it's perfect for any weeknight meal!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3-4 tbsp herbs de provence
- 1.25 pounds of chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups white rice, already cooked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat outdoor grill. Season both sides of the chicken thighs with herbs de provence and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pan, sauté onions and garlic with 2 tbsp. of olive oil, stirring until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the chorizo sausage to the pan and break it up with a wooden spoon until they're in small pieces. Add the white rice and tomato paste to the mixture and stir until everything is combined. Add the thawed frozen peas last.
- Let the rice sit in the pan to keep warm while you grill the chicken. Grill the chicken on your preheated grill for about 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the chicken and chorizo rice together.
Source: adapted from Food Network Magazine, June 2013, page 112
Posted on July 08, 2013