Curry Meatballs and Kale Stew
I’m back from an amazing trip to Bali! Hope you were able to catch the snippets from the trip on Snapchat (tablefortwoblog) and Instagram! It’s been quite the journey and pretty rough but I think I’m on the mend. Before I left, I caught the stomach flu. Which, is probably the most horrible thing ever to get right before a long flight (31 hours of travel). Thankfully, I got it the day before my trip and it was a quick 24-hour thing but I got back Saturday afternoon and I have it all over again. I can’t seem to kick it and I’m completely miserable! All I’ve been doing is sleeping and trying to get back on a normal schedule. We need to get to the grocery store but I haven’t really had the energy to do that.
BUT! This is where this recipe comes into play. I made a batch of these curry meatballs while I was on my paleo challenge and froze half of them so all I had to do was whip them out of the freezer and defrost them for a quick and easy dinner.
I’m absolutely in love with the flavors of this curry meatball and kale stew. It’s so warm and flavorful. I can picture us eating this a lot this Fall/Winter (I can’t believe I’m already talking about that) but this is also perfect for any night of the week where you just don’t have the time or energy to cook a large meal. We ate a lot of curry when I was doing the paleo challenge and a lot of meatballs but I wouldn’t have had it any other way! Curry powder is one of my FAVORITE spices because of its warmth, spice, and flavor. It’s the best! And you really need to use GOOD curry powder. I only use one type and I’ll show you below!
This deliciously comforting curry meatball and kale stew is a paleo-friendly dish that you'll want to make over and over again!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, my FAVORITE one and the only one I use because of how potent it is!
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the meatballs and mix together with your hands, careful not to overwork the meat.
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper and using a medium cookie dough scoop (used specifically for meats) divide the meat into balls. Once all divided, shape the meat into ball shapes. At this time, you can freeze half of them in a freezer-safe plastic bag.
- In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over medium high heat. Once oil has heated up, add the meatballs. Brown on all sides until meatballs are cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside on a plate. Place in microwave to keep warm.
- In the same skillet over medium high heat, add another tablespoon of coconut oil and add the diced onions. Saute until translucent then add the curry powder and garam masala. Stir to incorporate then add the coconut milk and chicken stock. Lower the heat to medium and let mixture simmer and thicken for about 10 minutes. Add the kale leaves and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meatballs back into the stew to warm up for 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and divide into bowls and serve!
Meatball recipe from: PaleOMG
There are affiliate links within this post.
Posted on August 18, 2015