1. About two weeks ago, I was in the car with Megan driving to downtown Seattle when I received an email from The Huffington Post about wanting to feature me as one of their top 10 food bloggers. My mind = blown. Such an honor!! This is all thanks to you all for your love and support! I’m so so thankful and blessed. You guys rock my world! I’m featured amongst 9 other fabulous bloggers that you all have heard of! Such a talented group and so thrilled I got to share the spotlight with them. Here’s the article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/05/best-food-bloggers_n_1940913.html
2a. I have this new obsession with Kiehl’s. Ever since Jessica posted about the avocado eye cream, I’ve been putting a Kiehl’s stop on my to-do list. I finally got around to doing it yesterday and I’m seriously so smitten with them. I have really dry skin under and around my eyes and I have tried everything under the sun for them. As soon as I put this avocado eye cream on, I was instantly hooked. Seriously, go get yourself a sample or small jar of this. It will change your world. It’s pricey but SO freakin’ worth it.
2b. I do a lot of dishes by hand. It’s just faster to me than loading up the dishwasher after every batch of baking or entree. Doing dishes by hand takes a huge toll on my hands though, as you can imagine, especially in the winter. They’re just so rough and dry. I found this hand cream at Kiehl’s yesterday and the second you put it on, you can FEEL the difference and how it’s different than any other hand lotion you’ve used. This is probably going to save my hands. The reviews of it are great too. Lifesaver!
2c. Stop what you’re doing and run (or drive) to your nearest SLT and apply for their culinary professionals account – I KNOW this applies to every food blogger that’s reading this. It’s free and they just give you a card that you show them every time you purchase something there and it’s automatically 15% off. Here is a description from their site: Love cooking so much you’ve made a career of it? Because we share that same passion we offer a discount of up to 15% for culinary professionals and culinary students. All you have to do is bring in proof of your professional or student status or business, such as a copy of your business license, business card, professional association ID, current pay stub, corporate credit card or current student ID to any store. Once we have your information on file, we can apply your discount to purchases made in our stores. Thank you sweet Darla for enlightening me about this!!
3. Do you use WordPress for your blog? You need this plugin. I heard about this from one of the Facebook groups I’m in and this could potentially save you a huge headache if someone is trying to hack your blog.
First, most of you probably still have your WordPress login account as “admin,” right? You should get rid of it. Why? It’s the most common username ever for hackers to use. It’s a freebie for them cause your username is already given, next, they just run some password generator and they can hack into your blog. Here’s how you do it and how you create a new username and still keep all your blog posts:
- Create another user with administrator privileges. Go to Users > Add New. Make sure when you create that new user, YOU GIVE IT ADMIN RIGHTS.
- Next, log out. Log in with your new username. Go to Users > All Users and hover over the admin username and click delete. It’ll then ask you “what should be done with posts and links owned by this user?,” select “attribute all posts (to new username)” then confirm deletion.
Okay, so now that’s done, install the plugin. By default WordPress allows unlimited login attempts either through the login page or by sending special cookies. This allows passwords to be cracked with ease since hackers will have an unlimited amount of tries to do so. Limit Login Attempts blocks an Internet address from making further attempts after a specified limit on retries is reached, making an attack difficult or impossible. It also keeps a log for you so you can see how many times someone has attempted to hack you. Scary stuff, huh?
4. I found this cute little Etsy shop where the girl creates tiny food charms from polymer clay. They look SO real!!
Posted on October 16, 2012