Mini Open-Faced Veggie Bites
Now that we bought our king bed and I’m prepping for it to come, I’ve been looking at all these bedding sets and swooning over them. It’s kind of like waiting for a baby to arrive – the whole nesting part and buying all these cute clothes for the baby – except I’m sure getting a bed delivered is FAR different from delivering a baby. Do you like that I just compared delivering a baby to delivering a bed & mattress set? It’s SORT OF similar. Ok, fine. It’s not, BUT the whole buying stuff in preparation is similar. You just want to put it on them so bad but you gotta wait. That’s how I feel right now. There’s all these cute bedding sets that would go perfectly well with our color palette but I can’t make that purchase yet because I’d just kill myself by staring at it every day.
It’s funny – I say all these things now but by month two I’m going to be so over duvet covers and sheets and making our bed. Jason is actually the bed maker in our relationship. I’m the worst. When I was younger, I would always get dinged by my parents for not making my bed. I prefer the roll out of bed and crawl back in it at night approach. I mean, why make your bed when that ONE spot was super comfortable and you can crawl right back into it at night? Haha, at least that’s my philosophy.
So these mini veggie bites..I construed them up in my head one Friday when I was working from home. I was thinking of all the random stuff we had in the fridge and how I wanted to use them that weekend. I was hoping this idea that seemed so perfect and beautiful in my mind would actually play out to be something I could share with you all….and luckily, it worked out. I know this is like the easiest thing to make, but when you’re thinking of what kind of appetizers or finger foods you want to have at a party or get together, this might come in handy. They’re extremely flavorful and I love the texture from the tortilla chips (might I add that they’re homemade and BAKED). I used two types of cheeses. We had left over muenster cheese slices that I placed at the bottom of these bites then I topped them with the bell peppers & onions and then topped it with mozzarella. I pretty much inhaled these.
These mini veggie bites are easy to make, flavorful, and perfect as an appetizer!
- 6-7 large flour tortillas
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 4 small bell peppers, various colors for visual appeal, optional
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1/2 cup whole milk mozzarella
- Slices of muenster cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Using a 2.75 inch diameter biscuit cutter, cut out circles from the flour tortillas. Place them side by side on the prepared baking sheet and using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the tortillas with the 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil.
- Bake tortillas for approx. 5-7 minutes, watching them carefully as they can burn quickly. You'll want to remove them as soon as they start turning a light brown. Set aside and turn the oven broiler on.
- In a skillet, with the remaining 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil, heat to medium high heat and saute bell peppers and onion with salt and pepper until soft and tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To assemble bites, take a tortilla round, place a small slice of muenster cheese on top, then top with 1-2 tsp. of filling then sprinkle on mozzarella cheese. Place on baking sheet and repeat until all the filling and tortilla rounds have been used up.
- Place tortilla rounds under broiler for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is nice and bubbly.
- Serve warm.
This post contains an affiliate link.
Posted on May 31, 2013