Molasses Ginger Cookies #fbcookieswap
Molasses ginger cookies are soft and chewy with the perfect amount of ginger flavor
I love cookies that are bigger than my hand! They make it that more enjoyable to eat because it’s like a never-ending cookie. But all good things must come to an end so of course these hand-sized cookies only prolong the heavenly cookie effect for a tad longer than regular sized cookies :)
If you haven’t looked at your calendar, you may not have noticed that today is 12/12/12. I’m obsessed with dates that have some kind of pattern to them. Like 10/11/12 or 11/12/13. I wish I could get married on a “cool” date. My wedding photographer got married on 10/10/10, how fun! Ok, that’s my random tangent of the day.
So I think I’ve made these cookies over three times already since Lauren posted the recipe. I love how soft and chewy they are and I LOVE the ginger flavor. They’re definitely like a ginger snap cookie but without the snap. I’d call them ginger chews if I could, but then that sounds like a candy.
I decided that these would be the perfect and most holiday appropriate cookie to make for the 2nd annual Food Bloggers Cookie Swap!
I participated in this last year and definitely was excited when Lindsay & Julie decided to keep this tradition going! This year’s was a bit different (for a very good cause) because when you signed up, you had to pay $4 but that $4 was donated to OXO’s Cookies for Kids’ Cancer program. They’re matching donations, dollar for dollar, up to $100,00! Additionally, each participant got a Be a Good Cookie OXO Spatula!
My matches this year were: Cassie of Bake your Day, Monique of I Are The Food Snob (which is too funny because she sent ME cookies last year!), and Jennifer of Healthy Wifestyles. I sent all three of them regular versions of this cookie. I’m sure they all wanted the hand-sized ones but I would’ve had to triple my already doubled batch!
I received cookies from Mackenzie of Susie Freaking Homemaker, Lauren of Making Life Sweet, and Ashley of Girly Obsessions. Thank you ladies for your delicious cookies! Jason and I devoured each and every one of them. Nope, we didn’t share with our coworkers this time :) I wish I had gotten pictures of them but I tore into the packages too soon!
I can’t wait to do this again next year!
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1½ sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and brown sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add in the the egg and molasses. Beat until incorporated.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Drop onto prepared baking sheets with a cookie scoop. To make extra large sizes, I did two scoops of cookie dough, rolled in a ball, and gently pressed the tops down.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. I took mine out a minute before they were done as I like mine softer and chewier.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before removing baking sheets. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.