Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
I’m super excited to share this recipe with you guys today because not only is it freaking amazing in all its gooey glory; it’s also special because we’re celebrating someone who’s as sweet as a peach and deserves an entire pan of these bars!
Can ya guess who? She’s got a cookbook out called Seriously Delish…
Eek yes! It’s Jess’ virtual baby shower! From all the participants in this virtual baby shower, you can just tell how loved Jess is in this community. She’s one of the sweetest bloggers I’ve had the pleasure of knowing and I won’t lie, I was totally star-struck when I met her a few years ago at a blogging conference. She sat at the same table with me and I was kind of speechless. I think we talked about Pittsburgh and her upcoming Michigan trip because she was heading there right after the conference.
I love reading her blog on the daily..filling my mornings with laughter and wishing I could just reach through the screen to eat whatever masterpiece she’s created.
The greatest masterpiece is set to arrive in a few weeks and I seriously cannot be more thrilled for her and husband! She’s going to make such a wonderful mother. Can you imagine the amazing food this child of hers is going to have?! I’m slightly jealous.
I loved the theme of this baby shower. We were to think of the most trashed up recipe we could think of. If you know anything about Jess, glitter, sprinkles, and trashing up food is her life motto and I seriously love her for that. She definitely is up for anything!
These salted caramel, dark chocolate, and brown butter shortbread bars are actually really easy to make. It’s just three simple layers full of seriously awesome gooey goodness. I was inspired to make these on my flight to London of all places. Virgin Atlantic gave us these chocolate caramel bars as part of our dessert and it was like a light bulb that went off in my head and how I wanted to recreate it.
Jess = salted caramel, brown butter, + sprinkles.
Hope you love these, Jess!! So happy for you and Eddie!! xoxo
Be sure to check out everyone else’s recipe below!!!
These shortbread bars are three simple layers full of seriously awesome gooey goodness.
- 1/4 cup brown butter (or if you don't care for brown butter you can just use regular butter)
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce
- 10 ounces dark chocolate chips, melted
- Your favorite type of sprinkles
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line the bottom of an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper with a 1-inch overhang on either side. Lightly grease the bottom and sides. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together brown butter (or regular melted butter), flour, and granulated sugar.
Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking pan. Make sure it's an even layer. Using a fork, prick the dough all over, about 5-6 times. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and let cool for 30 minutes. To quicken the process, you can pop it in the fridge.
After the shortbread layer has cooled, pour the salted caramel sauce on top and spread it evenly across the shortbread layer with an offset spatula. Let caramel cool for 30-45 minutes.
After the caramel has set and is cooled, pour melted chocolate on top of the caramel layer. Use a generous amount of your favorite sprinkles and sprinkle it all over the top of the chocolate.
Place the pan in the fridge for 2-3 hours, or until all the layers are just set.
Let bars come to room temperature then cut into squares with a sharp knife.
**These are ooey gooey messy bars so no need for perfection**
There are affiliate links within this post.
trashed up salads
- Gimme Some Oven – Asian Broccoli Salad with Peanut Sauce
- The Lemon Bowl – Brussels Slaw with Tahini Dressing and Za’atar Crostini
- With Style & Grace – Kale Salad with Apple, Hazelnuts & Bacon
trashed up cocktails
- Dine & Dish – Hot Buttered Rum Cocktail
- Food For My Family – Cranberry Orange Dark and Stormy Cocktail
- Minimalist Baker – Bourbon Pumpkin Milkshakes
- Stylish, Stealthy & (sometimes) Healthy – Apple Cider Shandy
- A Spicy Perspective – Preggy Punch Mocktail
- Girl vs. Dough – Boozy Maple Peanut Butter Cup Milkshake
- Honestly Yum – Maple Bacon Pisco Sour
- Cookin Canuck – Pink Grapefruit Margaritas
- A Thought For Food – Mezcal Citrico Cocktail
- A House in the Hills – Pomegranate Rosemary Spritzer
- The Novice Chef – Ginger Bourbon Apple Cider
- Bran Appetit – Citrus Cider Punch Floats
trashed up burgers
- Edible Perspective – Meatloaf Veggie Burgers with Mashed Potatoes + Gravy
- The Little Kitchen – Salmon BLT Sliders with an Avocado Aioli & Brie
- Daisy At Home – Balsamic Beef Burger with Mac and Cheese
- Cookies & Cups – Candied Bacon Maple Cheddar Burger
- Climbing Grier Mountain – Trashed-Up Steak Burger with Chicken Fried Bacon & Dijon Gravy
- Dessert For Two – Bleu Cheese Burgers + Sweet Potato Fries
- Country Clever – Fig Rosemary Roast Chicken Brie Brussels Sprout Panini
- Foodie Crush – The Best Cheeseburger Soup
- Lady and Pups – Spicy Sambal Chicken Meatball Sub with Eggs
- Two Peas & Their Pod – Sweet Potato and Kale Grilled Cheese
- Bake Your Day – Ultimate Breakfast Sandwich
trashed up tacos
- Spoon Fork Bacon – Crunchy Ground Beef and Cheesy Tacos
- The Fauxmartha – Boozy Beef and Butternut Tacos
- With Food + Love – Harvest Hash Breakfast Tacos
- Mountain Mama Cooks – Crispy Kale and Brussels Sprout Tacos with Bacon
- Heather Christo – Bahn Mi Tacos with Spicy Sriracha Honey Sauce
- A Couple Cooks – Loaded Huevos Rancheros Tacos
- Fitnessista – San Diego Lobster Street Tacos
trashed up desserts
- Table for Two – Salted Caramel, Dark Chocolate, and Brown Butter Shortbread Bars with Sprinkles
- My Name is Yeh – Mini Vanilla Loaf Cakes, All Trashed Up
- Picky Palate – Pumpkin Spice Butterscotch Sprinkle Cupcakes
- Sprinkle Bakes – Cake Batter Confetti Cupcakes
- Averie Cooks – Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Buttercream
- Sweet Phi – Trashed Up Shortbread Cookie Bars
- Love & Olive Oil – Loaded Junk Food Brownies
- Lauren’s Latest – Bakery Sugar Cookies
- Cookie + Kate – Peanut Butter, Banana, Honey and Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Flourishing Foodie – Triple Layer Chocolate Cake with Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting
- The Sugar Hit – Salted Caramel Popcorn Ice Cream Cake
- Hummingbird High – Breakfast Cereal Cake Donuts
- Top With Cinnamon – Triple Chocolate Vanilla Swirl Crumb Cake
- Bake at 350 – Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sundaes
- Simple Bites – Lemon Layer Cake
- Bakerella – Baby Block Cake Pops
- She Wears Many Hats – Chocolate Covered Grapefruit
trashed up pizza
- Bev Cooks – Beer Battered Fried Calamari Pizza
- Rachel Cooks – Apple and Chicken Sausage Pizza with Macaroni and Cheese Stuffed Crust
- Foodie With Family – Trashed Up Barbecue Turkey Pizza
- Shutterbean – Pesto Potato Bacon Pizza
- i am a food blog – Grilled Cheese Pizza
- My Life as a Mrs – Chili Cheese Dog Pizza
- Simply Scratch – Steak + Blue Cheese Pizza with Crispy Fried Shallots and Honey Balsamic Drizzle
- The Beeroness – Beer Cheese Tater Tot Pizza
- Yes I Want Cake – Roasted Pumpkin Pizza
- Two Red Bowls – Bacon Mashed Potato Pizza
- Dula Notes – Pork Bahn Mi Pizza
- Weelicious – Trashed Up Mexican Pizza Pockets
- Take a Megabite – Roasted Beet Pizza
- Hungry Girl Por Vida – Hard Cider Braised Pork with Sour Cherries and Cheesy Polenta
- Bakers Royale – Trash’d Street Tacos
Posted on November 04, 2014