Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars
These strawberry rhubarb crumb bars are deliciously soft and buttery with a streusel topping
I love crumb bars. They’re so easy to make and I’m crazy over the streusel crumb topping. Anytime I see crumb toppings on a dessert, I immediately want to shove the dessert in my face and then I realize it’s so unlady-like but who’s judging, right? I know everyone loves a good crumb topping every now and then especially when the fruity center is smushed in the middle.
With all the fabulous recipes I’ve seen all over the web, it’s hard to miss that it’s strawberry season. With strawberry season, it seems that the perfect pairing with strawberry is rhubarb. The two together equals a happy marriage of flavor. To me, it’s such a summery combination. It reminds me that summer is right around the corner and I love summer and sunshine!
The strawberry rhubarb filling in this dessert came from one of my purchases when I was at a Tastefully Simple party. They had the strawberry rhubarb spread passed around and I seriously could not stop eating it. It was fantastic. I bought 3 jars of it. I gave two away, one to a coworker and one to Jason’s parents. I had my jar sitting in the fridge for quite sometime and I’m so glad I unintentionally saved it for this. No joke, I ate 3/4 of the pan. Jason probably only had two bars, me? I had this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It was one of the most addicting desserts I’ve ever made.
I loved how soft and buttery the bars were. Now in addition to these bars, you see ramekins. I had leftover crust and topping so I made them into individual crumbles and they were just as good!
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups rolled oats (regular or quick-cooking)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, cut into 7 or 8 chunks/cubes
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Homemade strawberry rhubarb filling/jam or store-bought (I used the Tastefully Simple one)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 11 x 7" baking pan. Set aside.
- In a food processor, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, baking soda, salt, and vanilla until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Set aside about 1½ cups of the crumb mixture. Pour remaining crumb mixture to the bottom of the prepared pan and spread evenly. Press the crumb mixture down.
- Using an offset spatula, spread the fruit filling in an even coat on top of the crumb crust. Then with the reserved crumb mixture, crumble it on top of the fruit filling.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before slicing.
- To make these in ramekins, just follow the steps above. Press the crumb mixture into the ramekins then put the filling in and use a spoon to spread it around. Crumble the rest of the crumbs on top. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.