I’ve never heard of ebelskivers until Christmas Day. Jason’s brother and his wife sent me an ebelskiver pancake pan (pictured above), an ebelskiver cookbook, and ebelskiver mix. All the things to make these delicious filled Danish pancake-like desserts!
They can be filled with virtually anything. They’re extremely versatile. Whether you’re feeling sweet or savory, you can fill these with whatever you want. There are a lot of fun recipes in the cookbook and I know I’ll be making a lot of these. Some of the savory ones include feta and spinach, two cheese with marinara (like mozzarella sticks!). The sweet ones that I’m dying to try are the chocolate truffle ones, sticky toffee, and the iced gingerbread ebelskivers.
So many combinations! The batter is super easy to make too so you can easily make this at home for breakfast or a fun poppable appetizer :)
Out of all the combinations in the book, I chose to make the spiced apple ebelskivers. It’s like a mini apple pie that you pop in your mouth. It was so good! It’s dangerous too since they’re easy to eat in one bite and you just keep going for more and more.
I’d imagine you’d have to get an ebelskiver pan to do this but you know, you could maybe do this with a biscuit cutter ring and have a more tube-shape instead of a round shape? I’m not too sure, but I don’t want you to shy away from this just because you don’t own an ebelskiver pan.
Ebelskivers with Spiced Apple Filling
Yield: 14-16 ebelskivers
For the batter:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup of whole milk
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (omit this if you’re not making the vanilla batter and just making regular batter for the savory ebelskivers)
For the filling:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
2 Granny Smiths, peeled, cored, and diced into small cubes
For topping and for turning the ebelskivers:
2 wooden skewers
- To make the batter, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt) in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks then whisk in the milk, melted butter and liquid flavorings, such as vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients by stirring them together with a wooden spoon. The batter will appear slightly lumpy.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until stiff with firm peaks that droop slightly at the top.
- Pile about 1/3 of the beaten egg whites on top of the batter. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the egg whites with the batter. Repeat with the rest of the egg whites until they have been incorporated and can no longer be seen.
- To make the filling, in a saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter. Then add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir to cook and dissolve the sugar, about 3-5 minutes. Add the apples, reduce the heat to medium. Cook the apples, stirring often, until tender; about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- To assemble the ebelskivers, spray the wells of the ebelskiver pan with cooking spray and place over medium heat. When the butter starts to bubble, add about 1 tbsp. of batter to each well. Working quickly, add 1 tsp. of the apple filling into the center of each pancake. Top each with another 1 tbsp. of batter.
- Cook until the bottoms of the pancakes are lightly browned and crisp, about 3-5 minutes. Use 2 wooden skewers to turn all the pancakes and cook until lightly brown on the second side, about 3 minutes longer.
- Transfer the finished pancakes to a platter. Prior to serving, dust the ebelskivers with powdered sugar and serve right away. Be careful — the insides are probably super hot!
All images and content are © Table for Two. Please do not republish anything without prior consent. If you want to share this recipe, please REWRITE the directions in your own words, use your own photos, and link back to this post to provide proper credit. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this.