Potatoes are one of my favorite starches. I love potatoes. Hash browns, french fries, roasted potatoes with rosemary & olive oil…the list goes on. The list can now include these potato cakes :) They’re just like the zucchini cakes but with shredded potato! There are subtle differences too between this and the zucchini cakes.
This makes a good side dish (different than your regular mashed potatoes or veggie side) or appetizer for a party. I made these really quickly while Jason was baking salmon. We were starving and instead of having a bad snack, I whipped these babies up in no time and we were able to snack on these until the salmon was done baking.
Parmesan Potato Cakes
1 large russet potato, grated
1/2 small yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
3/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt & pepper
- In a skillet, on medium high heat, saute your onions until translucent and then add in your garlic. Turn off heat and put onion mixture in a bowl. Reserve the skillet for later.
- After you’ve grated your potato, squeeze out the excess water with a paper towel and place the drained potato in the bowl with the onion mixture.
- Add in the basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Combine and mix well.
- Form the mixture into small patties and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet that you cooked your onions and garlic in, add some olive oil and place on medium high heat.
- Place about 2-3 patties in the skillet (depending on what size your skillet is) and cook the patties until they’re cooked through and brown on both sides.
- Repeat step 7 until all the patties are cooked.
All images and content are © Table for Two. Please do not republish anything without prior consent. If you want to share this recipe, please REWRITE the directions in your own words, use your own photos, and link back to this post to provide proper credit. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this.