I haven’t had a real good cheese sandwich in ages. It’s one of the simplest things to make and one of the best childhood “dinners” you could ask for but recently, I’ve been disappointed with all my grilled cheeses. I have a feeling it’s because of the cheese and lack of toppings I used. You know how on television, you always see commercials for the all-american cheese that you make for your kids? With the cow jumping over the moon? That kind of cheese stuck (ha!) and you could get by with that when you’re a kid, but now that we’re adults, I think it’s time for an adult grilled cheese. Like one with full flavor, one with toppings that you won’t make you go “eww it’s green,” as a kid.
I’ve been seeing the avocado grilled cheese all over the place. I saw it everywhere on Pinterest and Instagram. I never gave into it because I couldn’t believe how avocado on a grilled cheese could be that good.
I really shouldn’t have written that idea off. I mean, I have a
slight obsession with anything avocado and I love a real good grilled cheese but why I never felt the need to try what all the foodies out there were trying, I haven’t a clue. I was seriously missing out. And if YOU haven’t had avocados with cheese, then you’re missing out.
So I’m here today to not let you miss out. I thought, let’s get some real good cheese, not the fake kind, and some bacon. Bacon. Everyone loves bacon, and when you mash it all together with a grilled cheese and avocados..holy cannoli, it is a godsend. You could call this a “California grilled cheese” cause of the avocado, but seriously, whatever you decide to call this amazing creation, I promise you that you won’t get enough of it. The creaminess of the avocado, the saltiness of the bacon, and the nuttiness of the cheese…I just need to stop talking about it. I’m hungry just thinking about it. I was upset that I finished mine so quickly and couldn’t have another. If you’re curious, I used Kerrygold’s Dubliner cheese. Thanks to the suggestion of Lindsay, it was probably one of the best cheese decisions I’ve made. I couldn’t stop eating the cheese wedge. I had to force myself to stop because otherwise this grilled cheese wouldn’t have come to be!
Go try avocados and bacon on a grilled cheese. STAT. I promise you’ll love me. For.ever.
Not your typical boring grilled cheese!
- 4 slices of thick bread, like sourdough
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked until crispy
- 2 avocados, smashed
- 1/2 cup real good quality cheese, shredded (I used a Dubliner cheese)
- Turn your broiler on high. Place your slices of bread on a large baking sheet and toast both sides of the bread until slightly browned. Remove and set aside, while keeping broiler on high.
- In a small bowl, smash your avocados until there are no large chunks left. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper, to taste.
- To assemble your grilled cheese, take two slices of bread, smear a generous amount of avocado on both slices then break bacon in half and put them on both slices of bread, on top of the avocado. Then add a generous amount of shredded cheese on both slices of bread. Place your slices on a baking sheet and put under broiler for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from broiler and place the other two slices of bread on top.
- Slice in half and serve warm.