Beer and Brat Cheesy Cauliflower Rice Bowl
We got some good news on Monday morning about Winston: no parasites! So it was just too many treats at physical therapy. Who would’ve thought? I guess too much of a good thing isn’t always good! The lesson learned in this? Moderation! And using boiled chicken as his ‘treats’ at his next physical therapy appointment, haha
On Monday, we got a decent amount of snow (4 inches) and ice! Then yesterday it all melted because the temps went up to 53 degrees. Haha, this weather is so whack. I looked at the calendar yesterday and it hit me that we’re already halfway through February and MARCH is right around the corner. It’s peeping its head and waving at me. I cannot believe how fast winter is actually going (yay!) – there is less than a month before daylight savings!! Yay for longer days!
90% of the time when we watch tv, we have on Food Network and every evening, Chopped is always on when we’re getting ready for dinner and/or settling in for the night. How fun that I got asked to participate in my own Chopped version at home?! My Chopped At Home Challenge with Sargento® had my own secret basket of ingredients that included: cauliflower, mushrooms, leeks, and Sargento Sharp Cheddar. Love me some Sargento Sharp Cheddar. It helps me when I’m in a pinch and can’t grate my own. Sargento cheese is cut from blocks of 100% real, natural cheese, so it’s basically like the same thing. They’re just saving me from spending my time grating cheese!
Also, I have never made cauliflower rice before and I’m questioning myself as to why because it’s SO EASY. You literally just throw it in a food processor, uncooked, and let it go! Cauliflower rice in like 5 seconds. You are going to love this cauliflower bowl especially topped with a beer-cheese sauce!
If you like fun challenges like this, you can have your own Chopped challenge at home and submit your recipe to FoodNetwork.com/ChoppedChallenge for the chance to win $5,000 and a trip to New York City to compete in a televised Chopped cooking challenge for a $10,000 grand prize
A cauliflower bowl with mushrooms, leeks, and brats topped with a beer-cheese sauce made with Sargento Extra Sharp Cheddar!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pounds brats, casings removed
- 6 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- 4 cups chopped leeks
- 2 1/2 cups riced cauliflower*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces Sharp Cheddar Cheese, fine cut
- 2/3 cup any IPA beer
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil over medium-high heat and brown brats and crumble with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add mushrooms and leeks and cook until softened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the riced cauliflower to the skillet and cook until mostly cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small pot over medium heat, add cheese, beer, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir until all cheese is melted and it's a smooth consistency.
- Reserve some cheese sauce to pour on top, if desired, but otherwise, pour all over cauliflower mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Serve and enjoy!
To rice cauliflower, put uncooked cauliflower florets into the bowl of a food processor and process until very fine 'crumbs' are formed.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento. The opinions and text are all mine.
Posted on February 17, 2016