Whether you’re making these as a breakfast or dessert, cinnamon twist muffins won’t disappoint. They’re easy to make treats that that are filled with cinnamon sugar goodness and drizzled with sweet vanilla icing!
There are quite a few treats that I can’t have just one of, and these cinnamon twist muffins are totally on that list. It’s everything I love about a cinnamon roll, twisted into a two-bite delight!
Something I really love about this recipe that you’ll love too is how easy these bad boys are to whip up. The ingredients are simple, the steps are hassle-free, and the whole process takes under an hour from start to finish.
Next time you attend a brunch party, or just want to treat yourself to a sweet breakfast, this is the recipe to use.
These delicious cinnamon twist muffins are a brag-worthy breakfast item that I find myself making all the time these days!
Ingredients for cinnamon twist muffins
For the cinnamon twists themselves, you’ll need:
- Pizza dough – Use refrigerated thin crust pizza dough. If you want to make your own pizza dough, more power to you! I personally love using this store-bought shortcut that works like a charm.
- Butter – Use salted butter to make these twists even more mouthwatering with a hint of salty sweet!
For the homemade vanilla icing, you only need:
- Powdered sugar – This is a key ingredient to homemade icing and can NOT be replaced with granulated sugar.
- Milk – I’ve found that plain dairy whole milk provides the best consistency.
Variations to try
I love these muffins just the way they are! However, if you want to get a little creative, there’s certainly room for personalizations.
Here are a few ways to shake things up with this sweet breakfast recipe:
- Instead of using vanilla icing, drizzle some homemade caramel sauce on top each muffin.
- If you’re making these in the fall, consider adding a pinch of nutmeg or apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice to the sugar and cinnamon mix.
- If you want to make homemade dough, do it the right way by using the best homemade pizza dough to do it.
How long will these cinnamon twist muffins stay fresh?
In an airtight container at room temperature, these sweet muffins will stay fresh for up to 3 days.
To make them last even longer, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge! When they’re cold, they’ll stay fresh for up to 5 days.
If you want to warm them up, just pop the muffins into the toaster oven for about 5-10 minutes!
Want more sweet recipes to whip up before your next brunch party?
Cinnamon Twist Muffins
For the cinnamon twists:
- 2: 10 ounce refrigerated thin crust pizza tubes
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grease muffin tins and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Open the two tubes of pizza crust and roll them out to a 12” square.
- Spread the butter over one of the pizza crusts.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the butter.
- Lay the second crust over the cinnamon sugar.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into 16 long rectangles (see photo).
- Twist each piece and roll into a swirl before placing in muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center of each roll is done.
- Remove rolls to a cooling rack.
- Combine icing ingredients and drizzle over cinnamon twists.
- Best served warm!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.