Drugstore vs. High-End Mascara
This is such a random post for Table for Two but I feel like I’d be doing you a disservice if I didn’t post about what I’ve been experimenting with the past few months!
I’ve been experimenting with drugstore vs. high-end mascaras. Why?
Well, ever since I started taking collagen every morning, I noticed that my lashes were getting insanely long (one of the benefits of collagen is healthier hair/skin/nails). I never had lashes before so I never cared for mascara. I always had those typical Asian lashes that were stick straight. They curled but there wasn’t ever ‘enough’ lash to curl to make anything noticeable so I just didn’t bother incorporating that extra step in my morning routine.
Since now I have decent (and pretty long) lashes — ALL NATURAL, might I add (I’m super proud) — I have been experimenting with mascaras and which ones work the best for me.
I truly was curious why some mascaras run $30 vs. a $7 tube you can pickup at the drugstore. I haven’t truly found the reason why; although some have told me it’s because of the brush and all formula is the same. I don’t really believe that part either. I feel like both the formula and brush have something to do with the price.
In the past three months, I have tried at least 10 different mascaras. No joke; you should see my little container next to my sink where I keep all of them :) If you’re in a hurry, the entire list is at the bottom of all the ones I tried and a quick review.
Bear in mind that everyone will obviously have different results, as we are all so different and our lashes vary a ton.
My lashes do best with a mix of both drugstore and high-end mascara. Go figure :)
I first discovered YSL ‘The Shock’ on Sephora, as it was highly rated, so I decided to give a try. I love their Black Opium perfume so I thought maybe this brand is onto something. I fell in love with this one. The formula is great (dark and very pigmented) and I really like the brush, as well. Also, if you’ve never had mascara that has a slight perfume scent to it, you will LOVE this. It actually does smell a bit like their Black Opium perfume and it’s very subtle. I like that because it doesn’t smell like the standard mascara scent. I know, the little things.
I reached for L’Oréal Voluminous mascara because it had been one I used when I was younger (you know – a little girl experimenting with makeup). I like to do one swipe of the YSL ‘The Shock’ then I let it dry a bit then I do one swipe of L’Oréal Voluminous and it gives me the PERFECT dark lashes that I love.
Omg, if you haven’t tried Pixi by Petra Lower Lash Mascara, you are missing out! This tiny and super thin brush is PERFECT for the corners of your eye but also a great way to get all your lower lashes. I think only Target carries this brand so go grab it. They always sell out of this lower lash mascara in stores so I just buy a couple online and they last quite a while!
Okay, here is the list of all the mascaras I tried and my thoughts:
- YSL ‘The Shock’ — see above
- L’Oréal Voluminous — see above
- Too Faced ‘Better Than Sex’ — I really wanted to love this but it didn’t do much for me. The brush was nice but I felt that the formula was too light and it wouldn’t coat my lashes as well as I had hoped. I know a lot of people swear by this one though but it’s just really not for me!
- Rimmel Supercurler — just no. Lol, I took it out, used it once and never used it again. I hated the brush too. The bristles were too far apart and I felt like it wouldn’t get any formula on it at all because of how spaced out they were.
- Giorgio Armani ‘Eyes to Kill’ — I was recommended this mascara by an Instagram follower and while I initially loved it, I don’t know how I feel about it anymore. I haven’t been reaching for it lately because I found my combo. I’m still willing to give this one a shot, though, as my high-end mascara. I like the formula and brush but I guess I just didn’t really like how it went on. I have mixed feelings on this one but I’m going to keep it.
- Bobbi Brown ‘Smokey Eyes’ — a lot of people raved about this one too and it was definitely a no for me after the first couple uses. The lady who sold it to me in store told me she loved it because of the dark carbon fibers or something in it that gave you intense volume and pigmentation. I didn’t feel that way about it and it flaked a lot. Maybe I got a fluke but I definitely won’t be reaching for this one again. It also took far too long to dry enough for the next coat.
- BareMinerals Lash Domination — okay, I hated this one, lol…I don’t understand why there are such raving reviews for this. I hate the brush. It’s plastic but like a really crappy plastic where ALL the formula sticks onto it and it literally gobs onto your lashes and it takes forever to dry.
- LashFood Lash Primer — when I first started using mascara again, I thought the primer would help with lengthening and keeping the formula on your lashes but it really ended up just making my lashes clumpy and it took too long to dry so I’ve stopped using it.
- Benefit Rollerlash — okay, so I used this before I actually had decent lashes and I liked it. I wonder if I would like it as much now. I liked the brush and formula but I haven’t used it in a while so I can’t be certain whether or not to say I love it now. I should buy a travel size tube of it and try it again!
- Pixi by Petra Lower Lash Mascara — see above
Haha, I told you I have tried a lot of mascara :)
There are affiliate links within this post.
Posted on May 30, 2017