I first had Panera’s autumn harvest butternut squash soup a couple years ago.
I was immediately hooked. How did I know such a soup existed until recently?!
Probably because I rarely go to Panera and when I do go, it’s probably not when they have this soup.
Since this is seasonal, I get so sad when I realize it’s no longer there.
Saddest day ever!
I don’t get any other soup there except this soup so it’s pretty much the end of the world for me when I can no longer get it.
Which is PRECISELY why I have created this Instant Pot version of the autumn harvest butternut squash soup.
YOU CAN HAVE IT YEAR-ROUND!
Whenever you crave it!
What is the texture of this soup?
It’s soooo smooth, creamy, and velvety. It’s kind of weird to describe soup that way but it truly is.
There are no chunks in this, as you blend it to smooth perfection.
Is this soup sweet?
Yes, but it’s naturally sweet. It’s literally as if you’re biting into a sweet fruit.
It’s also a bit spicy because of the curry powder.
What do you need to make this butternut squash soup?
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Immersion blender or blender
- Butternut squash
- Pumpkin puree
- Apple juice
- Cream cheese
Can you freeze this?
Actually, yes! It freezes really well.
I did this recently when we went to Ireland and when we came home, I just put it on the stovetop to warm up and defrost.
To get it out of the container, I’d run it under hot water to loosen it up a bit to pour into the pot.
Can you make this in the slow cooker?
Yep, you could! The Instant Pot just makes it so much quicker.
25 mins vs. 2-3 hours.
I haven’t actually done it in the slow cooker but I imagine it’d take a bit for the butternut squash to break down so my estimate is high for 1-2 hours and low for 2-3 hours.
Then you just do all the rest of the steps the same.
What to serve with butternut squash soup?
We served it with crusty bread and roasted up some seasonal vegetables.
You can even pretend you’re at Panera and go buy a bread bowl somewhere and ladle this soup into it!
If you’re looking for more soup ideas, here are some worth checking out:
- Instant Pot Sausage and Herbed White Bean Soup
- Instant Pot Mushroom and Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- Creamy White Bean and Bacon Soup
- Harvest Corn and Pumpkin Chowder
- Lentil and Spicy Sausage Stew
- Beef Barley Soup
You can pin this image below to save the recipe for later!
Instant Pot Autumn Harvest Butternut Squash Soup
- 5 cups cubed butternut squash (about 2 inch cubes)
- 2 cups apple juice (not concentrate)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 ounces plain cream cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the butternut squash, apple juice, and vegetable stock into the insert of your slow cooker.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and make sure that the vent is set to sealing. On the front of your Instant Pot, press Manual then if it's not on high pressure, switch it to high pressure. Then tick up the time to 25 minutes.
- Once it is done cooking, do a quick release. Carefully remove the lid and using an immersion blender, blend the mixture until smooth.
- Add in the pumpkin, curry powder, cream cheese, salt, and pepper. Blend again until smooth.
- Divide into bowls and serve.