I posed a question in my private Facebook group, The Community Table (join us!), yesterday and polled what everyone would prefer to see today. The top two votes were for an Instant Pot recipe and for a soup/stew!
Clearly we are all feeling the winter weather!
This Instant Pot sausage and herbed white bean stew combines the top two votes into one easy and comforting recipe!
I have been aggressively using my Instant Pot lately because it just makes dinners and meal prepping so much easier.
Take, for example, this soup. Typically, I would have had to take the time to remember to soak the beans overnight and we know the chance of that is like 1 in 1000. And because I would have probably forgotten, I would have just reached for canned beans.
While canned beans are totally okay to sub in this soup, you will likely not want to make this soup in the Instant Pot and make it on the stovetop!
I know there are a lot of people out there that are still afraid of using pressure cookers and don’t get the point of them.
For the record, I don’t think pressure cookers should be used for everything. While it might be tempting because it is hands off, the time it takes to pressurize and then release pressure is about the same amount of time it could take you to cook something on the stovetop.
I do love using the pressure cooker for tougher cuts of meat that I want super tender and shreddable. Such as this Korean beef ragu.
For this soup, it was amazing to not have to soak the beans overnight. I was able to sauté and throw everything into the Instant Pot and do it all in one bowl. This soup took roughly 40 minutes to cook (this doesn’t include time it takes to pressurize and release) and the beans were tender but not completely falling apart.
The vegetables were cooked through and the soup held onto incredible flavor. This soup was so good with a piece of crusty bread to dip into the semi-thick soup.
Grab a bowl and spoon — you’re going to want to cozy up with a bowl of this!
Instant Pot Sausage and Herbed White Bean Soup
- 8 ounces cooked Italian chicken sausage, sliced into rounds
- 6 stalks celery roughly chopped into logs
- 5 carrots roughly chopped into rounds
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 pound dry white beans (great northern beans)
- 5 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Press the sauté button on the front of your 6-quart Instant Pot and add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil into the pot.
- Once heated up, add the sausage and brown on all sides. Press the off button then add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir to mix up everything.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and make sure that the vent is set to sealing.
- Using the manual function, use high pressure and set the cook time to 40 minutes.
- Once the soup has finished cooking, let sit for 15 minutes before you quick release the pressure. You can choose to either quick release it or let it naturally release, depending on how hungry you are or when dinner is!
- Stir and divide into bowls and serve with crusty bread!