Mini Cherry Pies
These mini cherry pies have all the deliciousness of regular cherry pies but look a lot cuter!
These pies are special mini pies. They definitely were a labor of love but they were oh so worth it.
The cutest mini cherry pies! Everything is better mini!
- 2 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cold, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 1 pound cherries, pitted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cornstarch slurry
- 1 egg beaten
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour and salt. Then with the food processor on, drop the cubes of butter through the feed tube, one by one. You'll want the dough to be pea-sized crumbs. Then pour in the ice water through the feed tube and the dough should be ready! If it's still too sticky or crumbly, add a bit more water, but by the tablespoon.
- Dump the dough out onto the counter and halve the dough, placing each halve in saran wrap. Place in fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- While the dough is chilling, you can make the filling. In a small pot on the stove, drop in your cherries, sugar, and lemon juice. Cook on medium low heat for 12-15 minutes until the cherries are soft and can be mushed down. The filling will still be too liquidy so make a cornstarch slurry (a few tsp. of cornstarch with some water) and pour it in the pot. Stir until it thickens up nicely. Set aside for it to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly grease 6 muffin cups in your muffin pan.
- Once dough is ready, roll out one half on the counter top and cut out circles with the largest biscuit cutter you have or use the top of a drinking glass - it just has to be larger than your muffin cups.
- Place the circles in the muffin cups and crimp down the sides.
- Place the cooled filling into the cups, almost until full.
- Take the other half of the dough and roll it out. Using a ravioli cutter, cut thin strips of dough to create a lattice pattern on top of the mini pies.
- Once you're done assembling, beat an egg and using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until they're nice and golden brown on top.
- Let sit in muffin pan for 10 minutes before trying to remove from pan.
Adapted from Adventuress Heart
Posted on August 01, 2012