This nutella and salted caramel pie tastes rich and luxurious but is super simple to prepare
Oh hey, it’s Friday the 13th! I’m not superstitious or anything but I just thought I’d mention it because I like the way it sounds and people always seem to freak out because of it, haha…but no worries, I have a SWEET Friday the 13th for y’all. And you can freak out over what I have because it is one of the best combinations of sweet, ever. Nutella and salted caramel. IN A PIE.
Jason and I were grabbing coffee and dessert with another couple this one Saturday night and in the display case, I was eyeing this salted chocolate and caramel tart. It was super rich and delicious (yes, I bought it and I don’t regret it one bit!). As we were all devouring it, my brain started churning about remaking that tart. Then I thought how awesome it would be to use Nutella instead and salted caramel instead of salted chocolate. Doesn’t that combination just make you fall in love?
I was going to make these into individual tarts but I couldn’t find tart dishes. I didn’t have a chance to run to Sur La Table or Williams-Sonoma so I just went to the grocery store and grabbed an aluminum pie pan and decided to just make an entire pie out of it.
This is such a super easy pie to make. I wish I had the time to actually make the salted caramel from scratch, but I didn’t, so I took a shortcut and just melted caramel candies and added a couple pinches of salt to it. The pie crust was actually a tart crust that took no time to put together — in the food processor, no less! Everything is so rich and decadent when you take a bite into this. The salty and sweet just melt in your mouth and it’s such a luscious consistency due to the Nutella. In the picture above, I took the picture when the caramel had hardened up from being in the fridge, but if you leave it out to room temperature, it’ll be gooey and smooth.
You know what? Looking back on this, I wish I had also bought some nuts or something to sprinkle on top of the Nutella while it was still wet. Crushed up hazelnuts would’ve been a nice touch or crushed up pecans. I foresee a revisit to this pie ;)
Nutella and Salted Caramel Pie
For the crust
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp ice cold water
- 2 tbsp chilled heavy cream
For the filling
- 14 oz package of caramel candies, unwrapped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups Nutella
- In a food processor, add in the flour and salt and pulse to mix. Then through the feed tube, add the cubes of butter one by one, pulsating as you go. Then add the water and heavy cream. Mix until dough forms into a ball.
- Wrap the ball in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- When ready, take the dough out and let sit for 5 minutes to warm up and roll it out on a flat, lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, flatten it to a circle, make sure it's larger than your pie pan. Then transfer to your pie pan and work it in to make sure it covers all the crevices and trim the extra dough on the edges and use them to patch up any tears/holes. Use a fork to puncture holes throughout the bottom of the dough.
- Bake crust for 20 minutes, or until crust is getting golden brown. Take out and set aside.
- While crust is baking, in a small saucepan, melt the caramel with the heavy cream and salt. Next, in another small saucepan, melt the Nutella (just so it's runny and easy to pour).
- Take the caramel mixture and pour it into the bottom of the pie crust. Pop it in the fridge for about 10 minutes then pour the Nutella on top.
- Let sit and cool to room temperature before serving and slicing. You can pop it in the fridge to speed up the process if you can't wait ;)