Parmesan Potato Cakes a quick and delicious side alternative to mashed potatoes.
Potatoes are one of my favorite starches. I love potatoes. Hash browns, french fries, roasted potatoes with rosemary & olive oil…the list goes on. The list can now include these potato cakes :) They’re just like the zucchini cakes but with shredded potato! There are subtle differences too between this and the zucchini cakes.
This makes a good side dish (different than your regular mashed potatoes or veggie side) or appetizer for a party. I made these really quickly while Jason was baking salmon. We were starving and instead of having a bad snack, I whipped these babies up in no time and we were able to snack on these until the salmon was done baking.
parmesan potato cakes
- 1 large russet potato,, grated
- ½ small yellow onion,, diced
- 1 clove garlic,, minced
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¾ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt & pepper
- In a skillet, on medium high heat, saute your onions until translucent and then add in your garlic. Turn off heat and put onion mixture in a bowl. Reserve the skillet for later.
- After you've grated your potato, squeeze out the excess water with a paper towel and place the drained potato in the bowl with the onion mixture.
- Add in the basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheese.
- Combine and mix well.
- Form the mixture into small patties and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet that you cooked your onions and garlic in, add some olive oil and place on medium high heat.
- Place about 2-3 patties in the skillet (depending on what size your skillet is) and cook the patties until they're cooked through and brown on both sides.
- Repeat step 7 until all the patties are cooked.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.