Note: This post first appeared on July 25, 2012. The photography and recipe got updated! Enjoy!
As the weather gets warmer it only means one thing. Time to dust off the grill!
I love grilling weather/season because dinners come together so quickly and I really enjoy sitting on the deck and basking in the evening light. I work primarily in an office environment so being able to get some fresh air is always nice. Not to mention the smell of this grilled bacon and cheese chicken is fantastic.
The marinade used for this chicken is so good. I love any marinade that includes dijon mustard! It just pairs so well with chicken and bacon and cheese. There truly is nothing in this chicken dish that you can’t help but love.
Seriously. How can you say no to bacon and cheese on top of grilled chicken? You’d be crazy! ;)
Grilled Bacon and Cheese Chicken
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 12 pieces of thick cut bacon
- 2 cups freshly grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- Whisk together honey, dijon, olive oil, lemon, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Add the chicken, coat all the chicken with sauce, then cover and marinade in the fridge for at least two hours.
- In the meantime, cook bacon to crispy or desired doneness. Let drain on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
- When chicken is done marinading, turn on outdoor grill (or indoor grill) to high and grill chicken until cooked through.
- Turn off the grill and remove chicken. Top with bacon pieces then place back on grill (with it turned off) and sprinkle generous amounts of cheese on top of the bacon. Using the residual heat of the grill, close the grill and melt the cheese.