I feel like I have to start this post off with a disclaimer. This isn’t a drink just for girls. There. I said it. Sure, the name of this is called ‘you glow, girl’ but it’s a play on the phrase, ‘you go, girl!’ – get it?! Okay. Now that we have that out of the way…
Let’s talk ‘detox’ drinks. I’m not a huge fan of them. I’m definitely not a huge fan of all these juice cleanses either. I truly believe that you don’t need those in your life as long as you eat clean and make thoughtful choices with every day food. However, I do believe that drinking ingredients that have health benefits can benefit your gut and body greatly.
I wouldn’t call this drink a detox drink. I wouldn’t even say that it makes you glow because who am I to make those health claims? I called it ‘you glow, girl’ because 1. it’s funny and 2. you can benefit from the ingredients and it’ll make you feel good inside out, therefore, you feel like you’re glowing.
The most prominent flavor in this drink is the orange juice and ginger kombucha. If you aren’t a fan of ginger, I’m sorry to say that you probably won’t be a fan of this drink. However, you can also probably adjust the amount of OJ to kombucha. OR use another kombucha flavor that you like and that you think would pair well with OJ.
When I was at Whole Foods yesterday, I saw that GTS has a lemonade kombucha flavor. That sounds like it would rock in this drink. So yeah, you can totally play around with this drink but just try to make sure you keep the ‘spices’ in there because that’s where you can get the most benefit.
Let’s run through the ingredient list:
- orange juice: loads of vitamin c immune-boosting, especially this time of year.
- coconut water: super hydrating and packed with antioxidants, amino acids, enzymes, B-complex vitamins, vitamin C and minerals like iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese and zinc.
- ginger kombucha: ginger helps with nausea and can be an anti-inflammatory. it can also help with digestion. kombucha is a probiotic that helps with digestion, immune support, cleansing and detoxifying, and increased energy.
- turmeric: ok, this is a huge trend that’s picking up pace. there are so many health benefits of turmeric that are starting to show up everywhere. it’s used for a lot of anti-inflammatory benefits (great for someone like me with rheumatoid arthritis!), join pain, digestion, headaches, and more. seriously, there is so many health benefits on turmeric – it’s kind of nuts.
- honey: helps improve skin, helps with soothing the throat, helps improve the skin, amongst other things
- lemon: loads of vitamin c, aids in digestion and detoxifying, rejuvenates your skin, and gives you energy.
- cayenne pepper: benefits your gut and heart.
So, as you can see, loads of health benefits in this tasty drink!
Go get your glow on ?
You Glow Girl
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup coconut water
- ½ cup ginger kombucha
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pour and add all ingredients into a large mason jar and secure lid tightly. Shake vigorously then divide into four glasses.
- Top with crushed ice and fresh orange slices.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.