Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

• As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

These zucchini chips are so light and crisp! The perfect snack!

These easy oven-baked zucchini chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! They’re oven-baked to crisp perfection!

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too?
    Zucchini chips; a healthier alternative to potato chips!

I came up with the recipe for zucchini chips because I always bought the bags of veggie straws at Costco.

Those things are ADDICTING and while they claim they’re “healthier” than chips, they can’t be that healthy if you eat an entire bag in one sitting, haha!

Zucchini season is also one of my favorite produce seasons.

There is so much you can do with zucchini.

You can spiralize zucchini and make a stir fry with them or you can shred them up and they make for the most moist turkey meatballs, ever!

You can of course make these zucchini chips, too. It’s definitely a fun and unique take on what to make with all your zucchini!

What you need to make this zucchini chips recipe and how to make zucchini chips!

I LOVE zucchini and how abundant it is in the summer, but it’s also a vegetable you can find year-round.

So for this recipe, you basically just need zucchini and oil and seasonings. That’s it!

Haha, I know that was so obvious, wasn’t it?

And we all know when it’s zucchini season, there are always questions on what to do with all the zucchini!

Zucchini chips would be my answer. They’re light, crisp, and incredibly easy to make!

They’re also paleo-friendly!

I remember when I was on my paleo challenge, I would make these because they were a paleo-friendly way to eat chips without all the carbs, haha

Of course, I would highly suggest a mandolin to make these super thin slices but if you have the knife skills for it, then more power to you!

Can you make zucchini chips in a dehydrator?

This is probably the number one question that I get! Unfortunately, I don’t have experience using a dehydrator because I don’t have one myself but I know that there have been people who have done it before with success.

However, I’d just like to point out that this zucchini chips recipe that is made in the oven is basically like using your oven as a dehydrator.

Because of how low the temperature is and how long you bake it for, you’re basically drying out the zucchini so it’s like a dehydrator.

Can you bread these zucchini chips?

There was a recipe floating around the internet that stole my image and created an entirely different recipe with it.

Basically false advertising.

If you add any sort of breading to these, they will not be as crispy as these photos show.

Mine burned to a crisp.

When I say put it in the oven, I don’t mean to walk away from it entirely.

You’ll need to check up on it every now and then.

Every oven is different. Every oven has a different hot spot/zone.

You need to watch it to make sure.

If it looks like it’s burning or turning brown too quickly, you can tent a piece of foil on top.

Why are my zucchini chips soggy and not crispy?

There are actually a multitude of reason why your zucchini chips may be soggy and not crispy. Here are some common reasons:

• Thinly sliced zucchini rounds is a must. If you watch the video below, you will see I used a mandolin slicer.
    • You must use paper towels to press out excess liquid. This is key.
    • You must lightly oil the zucchini chips. A little goes a long way!
    • You must bake the zucchini chips at 225 degrees Fahrenheit until you see that most liquid/oil has cooked off. The reason why some people have said it sticks to parchment paper and/or the chips are soggy is because you didn’t cook them long enough. Once the oil has cooked off completely, the chips will crisp up and not be soggy, therefore it won’t stick onto the parchment paper.
    • It might stick to your parchment paper because you are trying to remove it from the oven too quickly and not giving it enough time to actually crisp up.
    • You also should let it cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the parchment paper.
    • Patience.

If you love zucchini chips, you may like these recipes with zucchini:

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! #zucchinichips #zucchini #zucchinirecipes

4.8 from 25 votes

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

Thin, crispy, and irresistible! These zucchini chips are a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
    Course: Snack
    Cuisine: American
    Servings (adjustable, but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings): 50 chips
    Calories: 54kcal
    Author: Julie Chiou
    5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify MealtimeSign up here for all the secrets!

Ingredients

• 1 large zucchini
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • Kosher salt

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17" baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
    • Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used 2.
    • After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it'll cook a bit faster.
    • Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.
    • In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    • Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it's better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it'll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    • Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren't soggy and are crisp.
    • Let cool before removing and serving.
    • Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Notes

**Updated March 5, 2017**
    Nutrition Facts
    Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
    Amount Per Serving (10 chips)
    Calories 54 Calories from Fat 45
    % Daily Value*
    Fat 5g8%
    Carbohydrates 1g0%
    Sugar 1g1%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    *Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.

There is an affiliate link within this post.

• 654 Comments
    Julie Wampler of Table for Two
    Meet The Author: Julie Chiou
    Dinner for Two Cookbook
    Order My Cookbook!

Dinner for Two

Respond to Barbara Zamora- Athy Cancel

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Renee C says:

Looking forward to trying the original….I knew I saw the picture somewhere but kept looking til I found the “originator” and so glad I did. The less ingredients the better in my book.

• Julie says:

So glad you found the original, Renee! :) Frustrating that the fakes are still floating around!

• Lisa Harmon Martinez says:

I use this recipe to feed teachers in my department, each time zucchini is in season.

I mentioned this on our blog and linked to it. http://notsocommonedu.wordpress.com/2014/01/11/tip-3/

Thanks for the yumminess!

• Julie says:

So glad you’re sharing this recipe the your teachers! Thanks!

• Sara says:

This was amazing, thank you so much for the recipe!

When i heard all the scary stories about the chips winding up soggy after two hours, I sliced them very thinly (they were 1-2 mm) and i arranged them on a paper towel, sprinkled with salt and let them rest for 2mins. The water came out in droplets, and i just soaked it up with another paper towel.
    Oh, and I didn’t even need 2 whole tbsps od oil, I used only one.
    They were so tasty and crunchy!

• Julie says:

So glad these worked out for you, Sara!

• Diana says:

What a dope I am. Soo sorry to bother . I swear I would have bet the farm on it. Thanks soo much and thanks for three quick response

• Sharon says:

Wow! I just made these and we ate every single one off the cookie sheet when they came out! I could only find smaller zucchini, and they came out amazing. Thank you!!!!!! Will be making often…totally guilt free, actually good for you, and so yummy.

• Diana says:

Maybe I didn’t read enough but what temperature should the oven be. Like to hear soon, can’t wait!

• tiffany says:

sorry about the copyright issues. that must be an awful experience.
    on another note, these look delicious and perfect, especially for now that i am fasting!

• Leah | So, How's It Taste? says:

Looks like it’s starting on G+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/101494392020926394266/posts/YruvfwDJ9GP Ugh!

• Julie says:

UGHHH thanks for letting me know!! I just reported it.

• Edna says:

Hei, Julie, I come across to your site, I am so glad that I do not have to suffered from the “stolen pictures and recipe”, I read all the comments and learn about the story, and am so happy for you that everything is clear now.

Thanks, Edna!

• Lindsay says:

Why can you only keep them 3 days? I would love to make enough to last a week for my family and I as a healthy snack.

• Julie says:

You can certainly keep them longer if you want but when I made them, they only kept for 3 days because they started to get soggy. You can keep them longer if you wish, but I didn’t keep them that long (actually finished eating them) and I can’t guarantee that they’ll last a full week for you.

• Beth says:

Why only three days for storage? Essentially they are dehydrated, right? So shouldnt they last longer?

• Julie says:

You can certainly keep them longer if you want but when I made them, they only kept for 3 days because they started to get soggy. You can keep them longer if you wish, but I didn’t keep them that long (actually finished eating them) and I can’t guarantee what they’ll be like if you keep them longer.

• Grace Geiger says:

If you are looking for a CSA option, you could try Relay Foods: http://www.relayfoods.com/Home/Welcome?returnUrl=%2F

Relay offers grocery delivery and includes options to have CSA boxes delivered. You don’t have to sign up for regular deliveries you can just order when you want.

• Barbara says:

There is a recipe floating around on facebook with direction to cook in oven f
    On 450 for 25-30 mins. I thought it seemed weird but tried it anyway. What a mess and a waste of a zuchinni. Going to try yours. I thought the temp should be lower because I was thinking about how a dehydrator would work.

• Julie says:

Hope you get better results with mine!

• Corinne says:

Thank you so much for the yummy recipe! I am sorry that someone stolen your picture :( Your picture led me straight to you :)

• Julie says:

I’m glad it led you to my blog! :)

• Christina says:

Why am I having so much trouble making these? I followed the instructions to a T and they come out either squishy or too crispy. Nothing like the picture. :(

• Julie says:

I’m not sure, Christina. The only thing I can think of is if they’re too squishy, the slices aren’t thin enough and you haven’t baked them long enough or you’re drizzling them with too much oil…and too crispy? Might want to bake them less time if they’re too crispy. Keep an eye on them.

• Irene says:

Christina, some stoves differ in heat try different settings , you may have an electric stove or gas?

• Loree Behymer says:

Here is a link to a fraudulent use of your picture I believe. http://heavenzeh.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/zucchini-oven-chips/

• Julie says:

Awesome – thank you so much for letting me know! :)

• Harriet says:

Might find some of yours here that’s how I found you! Hanging to try the chips :)

Thank you Harriet!!

• Pat Burden says:

Could you tell me an approximate thickness for the zucchini – I do not have a mandolin, but I have a food processor with an adjustable slicing wheel. Would you say they are an 1/8 of an inch, thinner or thicker?

• Julie says:

I would a little thinner but not by much. Enjoy!

• Galit says:

This looks like a great recipe! How did you keep yours crunchy AND green? Also how did you keep you zucchini from shrinking into the size of a quarter? Thanks!

• Julie says:

Hi Galit, I honestly just did exactly what the recipe I wrote out says to do and my turned out the way the photos look. I didn’t do anything different. I can see how results can vary but I don’t have any special tricks other than the directions in my recipe!

• Casia S says:

These look fantastic. My youngest still naps two hours in the afternoons. This sounds like the perfect wake-up snack!

• momofone says:

Going to try this recipe now! I saw a recipe on facebook, and it was terrible. The suggested time and temp was 425 for 30 min. Needless to say, they were burnt in 10!!! :/

• momofone says:

Update: Made them. They did shrink up like a previous poster said, but most of them turned out crispy and tasty! (I say most, because I had to slice by hand, so a couple were uneven) I love finding new ways to get my toddler to eat some veggies without a fuss. I’ll make them again! PS I thought they were good too, and I don’t even like zucchini very much.

• Julie says:

So happy to hear this was a success!!

• ida balanco says:

I am looking forward to spending time in the kitchen between making bead work to try out all your amazing dishes

• Barbi Anderson says:

Thanks!! I am going to try these as soon as I get home!

• Shelley says:

is it OK to pin this recipe on Pinterest? Thanks for the great recipe! I love your photos :)

• Julie says:

Yes, you definitely can! As long as the pin links back to this page, then it’s ok :) thank you!!

• Ernie Hodge says:

Julie,
    I saw the recipe on Facebook but didn’t save it and now I’m glad I didn’t. (This was quite a while back.) I just did a search and yours was the first one to come up. I’m glad I found this as I’ve been wanting to try this recipe. Now if I can get my zucchini to grow faster I’ll be all set.

Thanks for sharing ‘YOUR’ recipe,

Ernie

• Grace says:

This is a very good recipe. I have learned from pinning experience to chase recipes back to the original site. Glad i found yours.

Thanks :)

• Arlene says:

Can these be done in a dehydrator? If so, how long? I want to make them!

• Julie says:

It probably could be but I’ve never used a dehydrator before so I don’t have a clue!

• Mary says:

I plan on making these tomorrow for my mother and I! Can you cook these on a cooking sheet on top of wax paper? Or foil? I’m just preparing for if they do burn I don’t want to mess up a really nice baking sheet that belongs to my mother

• Julie says:

DON’T cook it on wax paper. You shouldn’t bake with wax paper otherwise you’ll get a ton of smoke billowing out of your oven. You could try foil but parchment paper works best.

• Dawn K says:

Thanks for this recipe!! It turned out exactly as shown in your pic! So yummy and crispy. I am trying to avoid sugar and as many carbs as I can so I was looking for an alternative to crackers to dip in my hummus…. This fits the bill.

• annie says:

I wish I knew how thick the zucchini slices should be cut? I dont have a mandolin, i use my large sous chef food processor from breville. PLEASE consider posting pics of the process rather than just posting pocs of the final product. im a total novice at cooking and it would really help. Your recipes are simple to follow and are overall healthy. thanks!

About 1/16″ thick

• Andrea says:

Can these be made without oil? Or with an alternative like lemon juice? I’m on the hcg diet and oil isn’t permitted.

• Julie says:

It wouldn’t crisp up without the oil. You’d be left with soggy zucchini!

• Mikayla says:

I would not make these on foil! I did and they came out perfectly except 90% of them were stuck to the foil and crumbled into pieces when I tried to peel them off. Either that or I made them way too thing. Next time, I will try parchment paper as the recipe suggested…

• Mikayla says:

*thin

• Luisa says:

Hey! I had to try these for three times. First I got confused with the degrees, since I am from Germany. We don’t use fahrenheit but I didnt think of that. It was burned after just a few minutes, haha. So I tried it again a few days later. This time it was much better, but sooo not enough. Also I made the slices too thin, and they were stuck to the back bared. So – three times is a charm – or how was that again? Well, the third try was the best try. I love them! It still is a long time to wait for not so much to eat. But I think its worth it. :-)

• Julie says:

Third time’s the charm! Glad it worked out for you in the end!

• Pam Comer says:

Hi-came across your blog quite by accident & love your recipes.
    My husband & I are retired & we just love cooking-we make our own preserves, pickles, cure our own bacon, make our own sausages & pick fruit to make our own liquires.
    I particularly like American recipes and find I am using American sites more & more frequently although I have had some real dissasters when using English ingredients!!!
    I love you recipe for zucchini chips (courgettes over here) .DElicious.
    Kind regards
    Pam Comer

• Julie says:

I’m so glad you are enjoying my blog! I love England :) we were just in London in October and I miss it!

• Alejandra says:

Hi Julie. I haven’t tried the recipe yet, but I’m looking forward to it. I’m curious though, could you share the farm fresh delivery service you’re using? I live in the DC area and I’m looking for something like that. Thanks!

• Tanya says:

Do you think these would be possible with other vegies? They look delicious and i am defo making some tomorrow!!

• Julie says:

I think it could but cooking time would definitely depend due to the vegetable used.

• Barb says:

Was wondering if you could put parmesan on the chips also? Haven’t tried yet but they look yummy!

• Julie says:

Yes, you probably could! I would probably do it closer to the end of the cooking process so it doesn’t burn.

• Zac Z says:

My wife & I made these they were so good! None made it the container for later hahah thank you so much!!

• Julie says:

Hahaha, ours barely made it in the container too! :) so glad you guys enjoyed!

• Wendy says:

These will save my life and sanity after 47 days without a crispy thing to eat (just shed 24 lbs on the Nutrimost system). They can’t cook fast enough!! :)

• Haus says:

Is it safe to assume that this will also work with the entire zucchini and squash family?

• Julie says:

Yes, I believe that’ll work!

• Michelle says:

I followed this recipe exactly as listed however baking it for 2 hours was too long. I was bummed to open the oven door to find them all burnt x.x maybe next time 1 hour and 30 minutes.

• Karen says:

If anyone’s having trouble with the zucchinis burning after only 30-50 minutes, it’s probably because you are slicing them up TOO thinly.

The thickness of the unbaked zucchini will be thicker than the images because as she said, they will shrink! So if you don’t have a mandolin to slice them up, use a knife. Don’t use a plain peeler like I did! (A very derp moment.)

Because I used a peeler to slice my zucchinis, they were too thin. They were the same thickness as the BAKED versions of this photo. So naturally they dried up really fast in the oven. They were already starting to burn after only 45 minutes.

I tried again today, slicing them up almost double the thickness of what a peeler would, and they turned out a lot better.

• Basia says:

Hi!
    I’ve just found Your recipe on a Polish website http://motywatordietetyczny.pl/2014/10/chipsy-z-cukinii/
    Glad You sign Your fotos. I’ll try Your recipe with joy :)

• Julie says:

Ugh – thanks for letting me know! I do watermark my photos but even then people remove it. Glad this site didn’t so you can find my site :)

• Tina says:

I only saw the link to your website – I can’t believe how dishonest people are! I use flour in my recipe …. yours look amazing!!

Thanks Tina!

• Steveholt says:

I made these and the were pretty good! But less than 24 hours later the ones I stored in an airtight container have become soft & gross. I had to throw them out. Not worth the time & effort.

• Amy de Silva says:

Great recipe! I tried ít tonight and this turned out great!

• Tash says:

Hey I just tried these didn’t go so well but I can see the potential. What temp should I put them at and how thick should they be?

• Julie says:

All your questions are in the recipe itself.

• Diana says:

I’m soo sorry but I didn’t see anywhere what temperature your supposed to bake them. If you can please let me know as soon as you can. I’m anxious ! I grow a huge garden and I want to know how much I should plant! Thanks in advance for your time. They sound wonderful and it’s hard to find good recipes cause they produce soo much.

• Julie says:

It’s in the first line of the instructions…”preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit”

• Sarah says:

Instead of brushing the olive oil on the slices, I put the slices in a zip bag after pressing out the extra water. Add a little salt, shake it up, and then put on the baking sheet. I shake all my veggies this way to ensure a good coating of the olive oil. Yummy!!

• Sandy says:

I used 2 TB of oil for a large zucchini- way too much oil- a greasy mess

• Katrina says:

Looks like there is still a counterfeit recipe out there with your photo. I found it here.

• Christi says:

Do you think using powdered ranch seasoning would work?

• Julie says:

I’ve never tried that myself but I would sprinkle it on maybe after it comes out of the oven.

• Jamie says:

I tried these today but couldn’t get them off the foil. Will a silicone sheet be better? I will probably post this on my blog but it will be a link to this blog.

• Julie says:

Yes, like mentioned in the directions below, silicone baking mats or parchment paper will be way better than the foil. Good luck!

• Donna Cunningham says:

Can you microwave them? If so how long? I would of swore I saw one on Pinterest but can’t seem to find it.

• Julie says:

I’ve never microwaved them so I’m not sure how long. Sorry!

• 5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify Mealtime