Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

• As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

These zucchini chips are so light and crisp! The perfect snack!

These easy oven-baked zucchini chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! They’re oven-baked to crisp perfection!

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! Did I mention they were healthy, too?
    Zucchini chips; a healthier alternative to potato chips!

I came up with the recipe for zucchini chips because I always bought the bags of veggie straws at Costco.

Those things are ADDICTING and while they claim they’re “healthier” than chips, they can’t be that healthy if you eat an entire bag in one sitting, haha!

Zucchini season is also one of my favorite produce seasons.

There is so much you can do with zucchini.

You can spiralize zucchini and make a stir fry with them or you can shred them up and they make for the most moist turkey meatballs, ever!

You can of course make these zucchini chips, too. It’s definitely a fun and unique take on what to make with all your zucchini!

What you need to make this zucchini chips recipe and how to make zucchini chips!

I LOVE zucchini and how abundant it is in the summer, but it’s also a vegetable you can find year-round.

So for this recipe, you basically just need zucchini and oil and seasonings. That’s it!

Haha, I know that was so obvious, wasn’t it?

And we all know when it’s zucchini season, there are always questions on what to do with all the zucchini!

Zucchini chips would be my answer. They’re light, crisp, and incredibly easy to make!

They’re also paleo-friendly!

I remember when I was on my paleo challenge, I would make these because they were a paleo-friendly way to eat chips without all the carbs, haha

Of course, I would highly suggest a mandolin to make these super thin slices but if you have the knife skills for it, then more power to you!

Can you make zucchini chips in a dehydrator?

This is probably the number one question that I get! Unfortunately, I don’t have experience using a dehydrator because I don’t have one myself but I know that there have been people who have done it before with success.

However, I’d just like to point out that this zucchini chips recipe that is made in the oven is basically like using your oven as a dehydrator.

Because of how low the temperature is and how long you bake it for, you’re basically drying out the zucchini so it’s like a dehydrator.

Can you bread these zucchini chips?

There was a recipe floating around the internet that stole my image and created an entirely different recipe with it.

Basically false advertising.

If you add any sort of breading to these, they will not be as crispy as these photos show.

Mine burned to a crisp.

When I say put it in the oven, I don’t mean to walk away from it entirely.

You’ll need to check up on it every now and then.

Every oven is different. Every oven has a different hot spot/zone.

You need to watch it to make sure.

If it looks like it’s burning or turning brown too quickly, you can tent a piece of foil on top.

Why are my zucchini chips soggy and not crispy?

There are actually a multitude of reason why your zucchini chips may be soggy and not crispy. Here are some common reasons:

• Thinly sliced zucchini rounds is a must. If you watch the video below, you will see I used a mandolin slicer.
    • You must use paper towels to press out excess liquid. This is key.
    • You must lightly oil the zucchini chips. A little goes a long way!
    • You must bake the zucchini chips at 225 degrees Fahrenheit until you see that most liquid/oil has cooked off. The reason why some people have said it sticks to parchment paper and/or the chips are soggy is because you didn’t cook them long enough. Once the oil has cooked off completely, the chips will crisp up and not be soggy, therefore it won’t stick onto the parchment paper.
    • It might stick to your parchment paper because you are trying to remove it from the oven too quickly and not giving it enough time to actually crisp up.
    • You also should let it cool on the parchment paper for at least 10 minutes before trying to remove it from the parchment paper.
    • Patience.

If you love zucchini chips, you may like these recipes with zucchini:

These Zucchini Chips are easy to make and are thin, crispy, and irresistible! #zucchinichips #zucchini #zucchinirecipes

4.8 from 25 votes

Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips

Thin, crispy, and irresistible! These zucchini chips are a great way to use up all that zucchini in your garden!
    Prep Time: 10 mins
    Cook Time: 2 hrs
    Total Time: 2 hrs 10 mins
    Course: Snack
    Cuisine: American
    Servings (adjustable, but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings): 50 chips
    Calories: 54kcal
    Author: Julie Chiou
    5 Hassle-Free Ways to Simplify MealtimeSign up here for all the secrets!

Ingredients

• 1 large zucchini
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • Kosher salt

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Line two large baking sheets (I used two 17" baking sheets) with silicon baking mats or parchment paper.
    • Slice your zucchini on a mandolin. Mine had 1, 2, or 3 for thickness and I used 2.
    • After you slice your zucchini, place the slices on a sheet of paper towels and take another paper towel and sandwich the zucchini slices and press on them. This helps draw out the liquid so it'll cook a bit faster.
    • Line up the zucchini slices on the prepared baking sheet tightly next to each other in a straight line, making sure not to overlap them.
    • In a small bowl, pour your olive oil in and take a pastry brush to brush the olive oil on each zucchini slice.
    • Sprinkle salt throughout the baking sheet. Do NOT over-season, in fact, it's better to use less salt initially because the slices will shrink; so if you over-season, it'll be way too salty! You can always add more later.
    • Bake for 2+ hours until they start to brown and aren't soggy and are crisp.
    • Let cool before removing and serving.
    • Keep in an airtight container for no more than 3 days.

Notes

**Updated March 5, 2017**
    Nutrition Facts
    Easy Oven-Baked Zucchini Chips
    Amount Per Serving (10 chips)
    Calories 54 Calories from Fat 45
    % Daily Value*
    Fat 5g8%
    Carbohydrates 1g0%
    Sugar 1g1%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
    *Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.

There is an affiliate link within this post.

• 654 Comments
    Julie Wampler of Table for Two
    Meet The Author: Julie Chiou
    Dinner for Two Cookbook
    Order My Cookbook!

Dinner for Two

Respond to Jackie Anderson Cancel

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recipe Rating

Comments

• Kim says:

Oh no! I just realized I was a victim of the stolen pic and horrible recipe! I was just looking for a replacement recipe and found your blog! Now, this is what I was looking for! Thank you!

• Beth says:

I need a bigger oven! These are fantastic but we eat them so quickly I find myself making a new batch every day! Also I have found my stoneware baking sheets give me the most even results without having to use parchment

• Busybee says:

I know I saw it, Howe er it’s too bad the someone else posted their own version of their recipe which had a similar name and unfortunately did not name you as the owner you do not own any recipe in the world , and I am sure what you posted is not your own but copied, so get of your high horse and accept the fact that others can cook and make similar named stuff as you do. The other recipe shows their variation with nuts etc.. as you yourself prolaim. So it’s not your version of the recipe as you so wrongly claim. For your info. Check and see how many versions of butter chicken the are on the net an none other claim they are the writers own recipe.

• Julie says:

I don’t need to get off my high horse because you don’t know what you are talking about. I’m not as concerned about the recipe itself being stolen – it’s easy. Olive oil, salt, and zucchini. Big deal – anyone could think of that. My issue is the people who stole my original image is claiming that their recipe (yes, the one with nuts) comes out looking like my photos above. That’s deceiving and false advertisement. I’ve had so many people come back to my site blaming me for a horrible recipe because my image was used and tagged with an incorrect recipe. Please get YOUR facts straight before you come telling me to get off my high horse. I don’t appreciate that kind of negativity on my blog.

• LaMesha says:

Great comeback Julie!!!! Sounds like busybee needs an attitude adjustment and you took care of it..

• Michele says:

They look really good… Could you use coconut oil instead of olive oil

• Julie says:

Yes, you definitely could!

• Christina says:

BusyBee really should use spellcheck before commenting….wow. I had a hard time trying to make sense of what she wrote to only then realize I had wasted my time on such a negative person….

• fran hogan says:

As a photographer/artist I can appreciate your main concern that someone has stolen your image. It happens a lot… people have not learned to respect other people’s property. (ie if it’s a wall outside, it must be ok for me to scribble on it…. if it’s on the internet, it must be mine for the taking!) I hope you report the theft and follow thru with making sure the thief receives proper chastisement or penalty (take down their website?).
        Good on you!

• JOYCE OUTLAW says:

If you do not have that mandolin cuter a potato peeler works great. I haven’t done the recipe yet. I’ll let you know. Thanks

• TLB117 says:

Wow, Busybee!

I wonder how you came up with your username. Based on your incredibly rude and petty comments, I would agree that you are definitely some kind of “B”!

• Julie says:

LOL. Ok, this comment wins, haha

• shamir says:

Thanks for the recipe! I can’t believe someone would take the time or even have the time to waste to write a comment so negative… Sad…

• Regina Johnson says:

Positively addictive!

• Tisha says:

Hi… These look fabulous and very diet friendly. Just one question… would using olive oil spray work just as well?

• Steph says:

Would this recipe work without adding salt?

Yes it will

• Brenda says:

Have you tried using a dehydrator instead of the oven?

No, I haven’t, sorry.

• Ilan says:

Hi Julie, feel ashamed to ask, but when you say bake, I’m sure everyone gets the temperate and oven mode… but could you be more specific for a rookie?
        Thanks, btw, these look amazing!

• Julie says:

There should be an option on your oven that says ‘bake’ press that and then input the temperature.

• BJK says:

It’s zucchini season. That means it’s hot! Any suggestions for how NOT to turn the oven on for two hours? I mean, has anyone tried this on an outdoor grill? I just sliced and prepped but can’t bear to cook indoors. Thanks.

• Julie says:

I feel like the outdoor grill would burn this to a crisp if it was left on the grill even with low heat. I would suggest just doing this in the winter if it’s too hot for you to turn on your oven. Freeze some zucchini now and defrost and make these in the winter :)

• Joy smith says:

I want to freeze some to use later for chips. I would assume I would go ahead and slice them before freezing? May sound like a stupid question but I’m new to all of this. TY

• Julie says:

Yes, definitely slice them before freezing.

• Vicki says:

Hello! Can you tell me on #5 when brushing the zucchini with olive oil, do you brush both sides? Or,just top? Thanks!

I just did the top

• Sandy says:

i used foil cause that’s what I had on hand. The zucchini is stuck to it now. Do they peel off parchment paper easy? How did you get them off? #possiblefailonmypart #firsttime

• Julie says:

They did not stick on parchment at all. They literally just came off when I pushed it with my finger. I didn’t use foil for the very reason you said – I wish I could tell you how to get them off. Sorry! :(

• Marcus says:

There is a type of foil that has no stick on it and that would work. But if given the choice I’d use parchment paper, more environmental friendly I think.

• Julie says:

I think I know why someone had problems with sticking. The first batch came out great because I immediately removed the chips from the parchment. The second batch all stuck because I was too busy eating the first batch and left the second batch sit on the parchment to cool! So remove chips immediately and you will have no problems!

• Terry says:

I got here by clicking on a grammar comic strip because I was trying to find the original artist. I like to credit them when I post. Didn’t find the cartoon, but I did find this yummy looking recipe, so pinned it! :)

• SailorBoy88 says:

Whatever it is I used the recipe from your blog and it turned out nice so thanks lol

• Pat says:

I have tried this and other recipes for zucchini chips and have the same issue no matter which method I use. They don’t seem to get crispy. I use a mandolin and slice them thin, spray with oil and sprinkle with a little salt – parchment if in the oven or I have used the dehydrator. They all shrink tons and are not lovely, round and crisp as I would envision them to be. Any suggestions? I have used the oven recipe you post as well as the one with high heat for less time, and of course, as I mentioned, the dehydrator.

• Julie says:

I honestly have no ideas :( even in the dehydrator, they should get crispy. Maybe you’re spraying too much olive oil on them instead of crisping up, they’re just steaming.

• Marcus says:

I wonder if it matters what type of oven is used – regular conventional or a convection one that helps circulate the hot air. I have an oven with convection modes (convection bake and roast) and will try that. Maybe that’s part of the trick for success in getting a nicely crisped chip?

• Julie says:

I bet convection would be awesome for chips! I did mine with regular conventional but I’d be curious about convection!

• Sue says:

Wondering if you pressed the water out…maybe that’s why they didn’t crisp?

• Julie says:

That’s a good thought – it’s in the directions to do so so I’m curious if you did?

• vivolynn says:

Quite randomly I just saw this comment from Pat about not the chips getting crispy… I wonder if she is crowding too many on the sheet at once. Julia child once said: ÈDo not croud the mushrooms or they will not brown. Same goes for zuchini. They just sweat and go mushy instead. They should be a thin layer and not touching. Also important to put them into a preheated oven. That may help too. Thanks for the recipe!

• Crystal says:

I made these with no oil. I added very little salt and a little cayenne pepper because I love spicy food. I used the thinnest setting on my mandolin and baked for 2 hours 15 min. I put a few thicker (not much thicker) pieces in and they did not get crispy. They have to be almost paper thin from what I experienced. And they were delicious:)

• arianna says:

What’s the calorie intake per serving what is the serving?

• Julie says:

I don’t do nutritional information on my site. Please read the FAQ’s section as to why.

• Kate says:

You can just enter the recipe in MyFitnessPal to get an idea. It’s not much since it is literally just zucchini and olive oil and seasoning to account for.

• Cal says:

I use Mastrad’s Topchips(TM) device in my microwave. Makes great chips faster and without the heat of the oven. I find it works with potato, zucchini, and kale. I also use it to make chips from corn tortilla and wraps.

• Renee says:

I love your layout. Can’t wait to try this recipe!

• Shelly says:

Has anyone tried a spiralizer? I do not have a mandolin

• Yasmine says:

I tried it but they burned and really shrunk..and only the ones who almost look really burned got crispy..(not a good crisp)..they dont look as good as in the pic..so what did i do wrong

• Julie says:

It’s impossible for me to tell you what you did wrong with what you told me above. I would try to put them in for less amount of time and watch it so it doesn’t burn. You cannot put something in the oven and not keep an eye on it just because the recipe tells you a certain time. Ovens all vary.

• Keith says:

At 225 degrees Fahrenheit they should not burn at all. That is barely above boiling point and should just dehydrate and slowly cook and not burn. Perhaps you misread the baking temperature?

• Renee says:

I am just curious how they can be claimed to be “healthy” if you don’t do a nutritional breakdown? I clicked on the recipe because I saw them noted as “healthy”.

• Julie says:

Well they’re “healthy” because it’s just zucchini, olive oil, and salt. That’s considered pretty healthy to me.

• Kay says:

I don’t have a mandoline but I do have a food processor, do you think I can achieve the right slice of zucchini with that?

• Julie says:

I’m not sure! I’ve never used my food processor to slice things thinly. If your food processor has that ability, then go for it. It should be paper-thin!

• Marta says:

My printer is not working and I wanted to copy and paste this into my recipe file. Any way to do that? Thanks

• Julie says:

You could do a print screen or a screenshot of it? Or you could take a photo of it with your phone and send it to your email?

• linda says:

Hello
      i have so many recipes i go crazy lol but what i do is when i find a recipe i want to try i just email the link to myself that way i can open it up anytime i wan to. if i want to cook something special i go to the link and write it down on paper, if they dont like it or it didnt come out like i thought i can them delet but if it what i want to keep i make a folder and put it in there and then i write it on a recipe card and put it in my recipe box

• Rachael says:

I really wanted to like these, but they were really disappointing. I used 1 zucchini and was able to get enough slices to fill 3 cookie sheets. I baked the first 2 and they came off the parchment easily, but were pretty bland and boring. On the third sheet I added some onion powder with the salt and that helped, but I think zucchini just aren’t meant to be made into chips.

• marta says:

i tried making these several times but every time the zucchini gets stuck to the paper with half completely burned while and the other half soft :( any tips on how to get it to not stick?

• Julie says:

Are you using parchment paper or something else? If it keeps sticking, try silicone baking sheets and/or rotate the pan halfway through cooking so it doesn’t burn and stick.

• Judi says:

Just made them and they are in the oven! Hope I get a couple before my teenagers find them!!!!! Yum!!! Thanks for the recipe!

• Marla says:

I’ve tried different variations of zucchini chips and look forward to trying this one…..it’s nice and simple. Of course they are nutritious because they are only zucchini and a little salt. Although the ones I have made in the past have been a bit on the soggy side they still seemed to disappear. :) Thanks for the blog. I look forward to this tasty treat.

• Bonnie says:

Thanks for posting with clear directions and taking the time to answer questions, as I had several of the same questions. A friend just gave me 2 zucchini and I had no idea what to do with them until now!

• Donna says:

I was going to ask you the best way to store the chips, but I eat them as fast as they come out of the oven!

Wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing!

• Julie says:

Haha, they’re definitely way too hard to resist out of the oven :)

• Susan says:

I used flavored olive oils (from OlivasDeOro.com) with a little salt and these were outrageously delicious and crisp. I used my very old Oster Kitchen Center food processor which sliced quite thin. After making 8 different flavors from one large zucchini, I put half of each cookie sheet in Ziploc bags to share. This morning, they are all soggy. They were crisp when I bagged them last night. Can you tell me what I did wrong?

• Julie says:

I think even baked, zucchini still gives off a bit of moisture so it’s probably best to eat these day of or don’t seal them when bagged cause the moisture just circulates within the baggy.

• Susan says:

I laid them between paper towels with a little weight for a dew hours before baking,. The paper towels were damp when I transferred the slices to the pan, and each pan of slices took about 2 hours to reach perfection (crisp & lightly browned). The ones we ate right away were great.
        Instead of baggies, I’ll try leaving the chips in an open bowl to take them to share. A full day aftrr baking and bagging them, I put them back on parchment in the oven at 200 for about 30 minutes and they re-crisped just fine. We ate them immediately. We enjoyed sampling all the flavors and could not decide which is our favorite.

• Dana says:

Zucchini are very moist from the start. Make sure you lay them out on paper towel and then cover them with a paper towel. I did this for about a hour and a half. Used some Wildtree Garlic oil and alittle garlic salt on top and they were amazing. Not to much oil and a dash of seasoning salt on top. So make sure you are really getting alot of that moisture out.

• aleca says:

Hi There. Is it possible to slice the zucchini the night before and then bake them the next day? How would that change things?

• Julie says:

You could. I don’t think it’d change anything.

• Andre says:

I wanted to ask you what temperature are we supposed to bake the zucchini at? You mentioned that we have to preheat the oven to 225 dregrees Fahrenheit, but I couldn’t find the baking temperature.

• Julie says:

You bake them at 225 degrees Fahrenheit.

• Chris says:

In a class, my lab partner and I had trouble with the zucchini being too wet. Our instructor suggested sprinkling it with a little salt, let sit for a bit, then use paper towel to dry the zucchini. The salt was used to draw out the moisture. It worked, but was a real challenge because another part of the assignment was too keep the sodium level below 540 mg per servings. Toweling off the slices will remove some of the salt along with the water. This may help those who are having trouble with the chips not crisping up.

• June says:

Just made them. Yummy! We used the food processor,then towel dried. Put salt and put half in oven. The other half we put on the bacon cooker for the microwave. They were done in 12 minutes. They were gobbled up

• Sandy says:

If I right click on the recipe, one of the options that appears on the menu is the option to “Mail with Windows Live”. Clicking on this option brings up my e-mail program, and I just e-mail it to myself. From there you can move it to any folder you wish or create a new one. Do this all the time since I don’t have a connected printer either. So easy and fast!

• KT says:

Do you think these would work for healthy nachos? What I’m envisioning would basically be the addition of some cheese, and tempeh browned in salsa, then another brief shot in the oven. Thanks

• Julie says:

Hmm, they could but they’re SOO thin that I feel like the chip would break with anything on top, haha

• KT says:

Thank you–spot on. They were delicious, but definitely too thin for nachos.

• Whitney says:

Wish you had not made an image/picture of your recipe.. One is not able to simply highlight and copy. I, for one, love to copy and save recipes and prepare them at will.

• S. Smith says:

I second that notion! I normally copy and paste into Word, all my recipes. Can’t do that with this one. Also, just an FYI to Julie, but search engines can’t index your recipes as well without them being text. You will rank higher in SEO if you use text as opposed to images. :)

• Julie says:

All my recipes on my blog are text. They are not images. I disabled text selection of my recipes due to a high amount of content theft from recipe scraping sites.

• Ana says:

i tried the recipe but it doesn’t work unfortunatelly. I think my oven does not have so low temperature, so it burnt in the middle and didn’t crisp.

• melissa says:

I am a lover of kale chips! So I am looking forward to making something different! Always looking for healthier snacks.

• Karen says:

I read this twice and am pretty sure I followed the recipe exactly, but mine did not get crispy AT ALL. Wonder where mine is going wrong?

• Brittany says:

do you have to refrigerate after baking?

• Julie says:

No, I didn’t. I just kept it in a container but it’s best eaten day of.

• Carly says:

I have them in the oven right now! Can’t wait. Thank you!

• Jessica says:

Great snack, I love these! I used your baking instructions, low and slow is the trick.

• Paula says:

For anyone who doesn’t want to turn their oven on for two hours, I’ve had great success with Julie’s recipe and a microwave! Same method (I use some parchment paper on a microwaveable plate) and in an 800w oven it takes around 7/8 minutes for the chips to crisp up nicely (I flipped mine after 5 minutes) They are definitely not as pretty as Julie’s but for a quick, lazy fix, they taste great! :)

• Kaycee says:

LOVE this recipe! I tried it the first time and it was amazing! The second time, my zucchini all got stuck because
    I think they were too thin. I’m going to use parchment paper. Thanks for the AWESOME healthy recipe! These little guys are addicting!!!

• Jessica Banka says:

Thanks for the cooking time/temp recommendation! Very helpful.

• Janet Berg says:

Hi!
    1. Zucchini differs tremendously from season to season–sometimes very sweet and sometimes rather tasteless or even bitter.
    2. Zucchini has a VERY high water content. It is probably good to use the traditional method for removing water from eggplant slices before frying: sprinkle with salt and let sit for at least a half hour. The slices sort of ‘bleed’ water. Then rub off both salt and water with a paper towel. Of course the eggplant slices are larger and thicker, so it is easier….but the principle is the same….:-)….
    3. Before making zucchini pancakes, you are supposed to let the shredded zucchini sit in a colander to drain.
    4. MANY ovens do not heat evenly and do not have heat settings that match the dial!! Always use an oven thermometer and turn the pan around periodically if you are having trouble.
    5. With all my great advice, I must admit that I never got chips to come out like the pictures—but I have a very simple ANCIENT oven which I know does not have all its elements functioning….:-)…. This recipe should be great in a convection oven!

• feeding_infintely says:

So I was wondering, are these thick enough for withstanding dips? Or else should I use 3 on a mandolin instead? Judging from your pictures they seem a tad thin, but that could but just the angle of the photo.

• Julie says:

No, they definitely will not withstand dips! They’d break immediately. If you use 3 on a mandolin, your chips may not turn out as crispy or you may actually need to cook them way longer than the time I put in the recipe.

• feeding_infintely says:

oh okay, thanks. I’ll try cooking them for longer and see how they turn out. Then I’ll let you know :)

• Belinda Qather says:

wow, a lot of negativity here, too bad, it ruins a good site, For the zucchini chips I have made them for over 30 years, The way my grandmother taught me was to salt the chips and let them set for about 1/2 or so in a colander with a bowl under, the salt draws off the excess liquid, then pat dry, then place them on a baking sheet drizzle with oil and bake or fry., Another way to make a thin pancake batter (about 2 cups worth) add 1 tsp vinegar, 1/2 tsp onion powder, dip the chips, and deep fry at 360 degrees until golden brown.

• Belinda Qather says:

.about 1/2 hour or so (to make sure they don’t turn brown, put 1 tsp lemon juice in a cup of water in a spray bottle, and spritz them).

• Tanya says:

I am so glad I found your recipe!!! I have been eating low carb since January 1, and really miss potato chips. I have tried making “cheese chips” but they just didn’t cut it. these zucchini chips, however, were PERFECT!!! I can’t believe it, but I like them as much as potato chips! And agree with you, the hardest part was waiting around for them to be ready! Thank you so much!

• Tanya says:

BTW, I dipped them in Ranch dressing (not dip) and they held up just fine! Delicious!!!

• Bev says:

These look good until I saw oil,as a ingredient . I am a plant based diet and avoid oil. ( not healthy ,all fat ) . I will try without the oil ! Nice photo !

• blueberry says:

Would like to try these, they look and sound delicious. Do you think a spray olive oil could work? Thanks.

Yup, it would work.