Yay! Here we go! 10 days of Thanksgiving side dishes and desserts. I hope each day will give you ideas and inspirations for a perfect Thanksgiving. I worked really hard to do this so I hope you all enjoy it and benefit from it. Jason and I definitely weren’t complaining that we got to have Thanksgiving a bit earlier this year ;)
I figured I’d start with a nice warm and silky soup to get the series going. It’s a light way to start dinner and it’s got all your fall flavors in here. The soup base is made from the butternut squash puree that I posted on Friday, although you can use canned too, but homemade is so easy and fresh!
This soup comes together very easily. It’s literally cooking the root vegetables, adding chicken stock and the butternut squash puree, blending it all together with an immersion blender and letting it simmer for 30 minutes. Done and done. It’s such an easy way to kick off your Thanksgiving meal and not to mention so flavorful and comforting. I’m sure your guests will love this. Top it with some creamy goat cheese and you’ve got yourself a great starter!
Butternut Squash Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 35 minutes
4 cups butternut squash puree, homemade or store-bought
1 large onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
3 cups low-sodium chicken stock or vegetable broth
2 oz. goat cheese, crumbled
Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat up 3 tbsp. of olive oil over medium high heat and sauté onion, carrots, and celery until they’re soft and tender, about 10 minutes. You want them to be really soft and tender so the immersion blender will be able to blend it easily.
- When vegetables are soft, throw in the chopped sage and stir around. Add in the chicken stock and the butternut squash puree.
- Using an immersion blender, blend everything together until the mixture is smooth and no chunks remain. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Let mixture simmer for 25-30 minutes then serve.
- Crumble goat cheese on top prior to serving, if desired.
- Store in airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
Table for Two original