Most kiddos are already back to school but where I live, we don’t go back to school until the day after Labor Day. I honestly have always thought that was normal just because of where I grew up but I guess we’re really different from the rest of the country! I can’t believe it’s already another start to a new school year and I can’t believe it’s already time for apples :) my favorite fruit!
When I was young, I could eat apples for all three meals. My parents would ask me what I’d want after dinner since my dad always made us eat a serving of fruit every evening, and I’d happily exclaim, “apple!” I really need to get Jason and I out to an apple orchard this year. I think my favorite variety of apples are honeycrisp and gala apples. I’m not a huge fan of red delicious (so waxy!) or any other ones. Do you have any favorites? I haven’t tried pink lady apples yet so maybe I’ll pick them up next time I head to Safeway. When I was there this second time around to pick up ingredients for this recipe, they had mounds of mounds of various types of apples in their fruit section! Talk about love! Anyway, I picked up granny smiths this time around. They’re my favorite to bake with because they hold up so well and the tart and sweet flavors are perfect.
These apple cinnamon cream cheese roll-ups are so easy to make and they taste so much like Fall! Baking is about to come full-circle in the coming months so why not start out with something simple and delicious? I bet the kiddos will love helping out and they will easily devour these! They’re perfect snacks for after school or as a breakfast treat!
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 granny smith apple, diced into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons water
- One can of Pillsbury® Crescent Rolls
- 2 ounces Kraft PHILADELPHIA cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, add 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, granny smith apple, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to coat well and let simmer, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Mix together cornstarch and water until no more lumps remain. Pour into apple mixture and stir to incorporate. Let mixture thicken, about 3 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Open the Pillsbury® crescent rolls packaging and lay the 8 triangles onto the baking sheet.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon the filling onto the widest part of the dough then gently roll it up, pinching the sides of the dough together. It's okay if some of the filling falls out, just push it back in. Repeat for the other rolls.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown on the outside.
- Remove and let cool while you make the cream cheese glaze.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese, confectioners sugar, and milk.
- Place the glaze into a small plastic bag then snip one corner. Generously glaze the top of the rolls. You can use more for dipping, if desired.
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
This blog post is sponsored by Safeway Inc. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting brands I love so I can continue to bring you unique and delicious recipes!