This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This quick and comforting recipe for Chicken and Dumplings with Tortillas is a delicious twist on the classic using tortillas for a short cut. In just under an hour, you can prepare a hearty, flavorful soup that will satisfy your family’s cravings!
Chicken and dumplings is a classic household staple in the South and has made its way all over the country. Its rich and creamy broth is loaded with thick doughy dumplings (or biscuits, if you will) and if that’s not pure comfort food then I don’t know what is!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Shortcut for dumplings. You’ll love this recipe for chicken and dumplings with tortillas because while the classic chicken and dumplings is scrumptious, the dumplings can be a little time consuming and when you want something fast, tortillas can come to the rescue!
Classic comfort flavors. The hearty and rich flavors of the soup bring out classic comfort for me.
Creamy and thick. On really cold nights, there is nothing that beats a creamy soup. Nothing. Something about the consistency just immediately warms you right up! What’s that they say…”stick to your ribs” – yeah! That’s it.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken broth – I have a homemade one that would be perfect in this recipe as it has so much flavor and would really accentuate this dish. However, there is absolutely no need to make it from scratch. Simply a suggestion!
- Cream of chicken soup – canned is just easier, but you can opt for homemade.
- Cream of celery soup – again, canned is easier, but you can opt for homemade.
- Shredded chicken – rotisserie chicken would work really well in this recipe. It has such great flavor.
- Frozen carrots – you can definitely use fresh as well.
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Flour tortillas – I would not recommend using corn tortillas for this. You need flour tortillas.
- Milk – you can substitute this with heavy cream or half and half if you prefer something creamier. If you want to use milk, I suggest 2% or whole milk.
How to Make Chicken and Dumplings with Tortillas
Heat up liquids in a pot. In a heavy-bottom pot, like a Dutch oven, add chicken broth, cream of chicken, and cream of celery soup. Let this mixture warm up and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add carrots and seasonings. Next, add the frozen carrots and seasonings and bring to a boil.
Cut and add the tortillas. Cut the flour tortillas into squares then add them to the soup. Gently stir.
Substitutions and Variations
If you do not have chicken broth, you may use vegetable broth. You can also use 2 cups of water with 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 teaspoons of chicken bouillon powder.
If you don’t have any cream of celery, you may replace that with a second can of cream of chicken.
If you have leftover turkey that you froze from Thanksgiving, you could use that here or make my Leftover Turkey and Dumpling Soup instead.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Place leftovers in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days. Or you may store it in the freezer for up to 2 months (freezer bags work well for this). The tortillas might be a little mushy and bloated but if you don’t mind that then storing them in the refrigerator and/or freezer will work well for you.
Can I make this in the slow cooker? Yes, you can make this in the slow cooker. I would just add the tortillas to the slow cooker 15 minutes before serving.
Can I use fresh tortillas? Yes, absolutely. Make sure they’re fresh cooked tortillas and not the type that’s still dough and you have to cook it on the stovetop yourself.
More cozy soup ideas
Chicken and Dumplings with Tortillas
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 10 ounce can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups frozen sliced carrots
- 2 cups chicken, chopped or shredded (rotisserie works really well)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 1 cup milk
- Place the chicken broth into a large heavy bottom pot like a dutch oven and turn the heat on to medium.
- Whisk in the cream of chicken soup and the cream of celery soup. Allow this mixture to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen carrots, chicken, onion powder, garlic, salt, and pepper. Bring this to a boil.
- Cut the tortillas into 1” squares, using a pizza cutter or knife.
- Carefully add the tortillas to the soup. Gently press them down but do not stir vigorously as they will tear.
- Bring the mixture to a boil again, then reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, gently stir in the milk, and allow cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.