Ahh it’s the last day of June and fourth of July is on Friday. This is crazy! Should I be planning our Thanksgiving and Christmas menus now? ;)
Speaking of holidays..that reminds me of a ton of leftover food which reminds me of what I’ve been eyeing for a while. I really want to get a chest freezer for our garage. It’s one of those appliances that I know I’ll use a lot because I like to buy a lot of bulk meats and I just feel that we’re always throwing a bunch of stuff into the freezer after meals, too. Oh, and not to mention the ice cream attachment that I have for my KitchenAid takes up pretty much all the space right now in our pull-out freezer. I usually remove it in the winter time so I can have more space. Anyway, so I didn’t realize they sold upright chest freezers so it’ll take up less space width-wise. Do you have a chest freezer? Do you love it?
I was on a huge chocolate and coconut kick a while back when I decided to make these chocolate coconut scones. I wanted a bunch of coconut flavor so there’s triple coconut in this. Coconut oil, coconut flakes, and coconut extract. The mini chocolate chips and the chocolate drizzle on top totally complimented the scones. This was so good to have with our cup of coffee every morning. Scones are so easy to make, too, so I need to whip up another batch of these soon! Grab the recipe below – pretty sure you’ll love it!
Chocolate Coconut Scones
Servings are adjustable but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons coconut oil (hardened, not liquid form)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg, lightly beatened
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
For the chocolate drizzle
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, regular sized
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the coconut oil and using a pastry blender, cut the coconut oil into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse, pea-shaped meal.
- Add the coconut milk, egg, and coconut extract to the mixture. Stir together with a wooden spoon until it comes together. Add the coconut flakes and mini chocolate chips. Stir to combine.
- Turn the mixture out onto a flat, lightly floured surface, and shape into a 1-inch thick circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges on the baking sheet and bake for 16 minutes. Let rest on baking sheet for 10 minutes then place on a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the scones have cooled, place the chocolate chips and vegetable oil in a small bowl and microwave in 30 second increments and stirring, until the chocolate chips have melted.
- Carefully place the melted chocolate into a plastic bag and cut a tiny hole in the corner.
- Drizzle chocolate over the scones and let it set for 30-45 minutes.
- Store scones in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
There is an affiliate link in this post.