We went and saw the new Disney Pixar movie, Inside Out, this weekend and we absolutely loved it. It was adorable and hilarious. There were many times throughout the movie, I’d look over at Jason and he’d be laughing so hard. They really hit the nail on the head with this movie. It appealed to both children and adults and that’s really rare! The “feelings” in the movie were spot on too. I now can’t stop thinking about how if my brain functions that way :) and of course, Pixar just had to do it. They made me cry like a baby in the film. There is always that one moment in their movies that gets to me. All in all, definitely a great movie to go see!
I also went and got my headshots re-taken by a very talented photographer, whom I’m lucky to call my friend, Anna Grace. My other good friend who just so happens to live down the street from me (literally a 30 second drive) let us borrow her ridiculously amazing all-white kitchen with a HUGE marble island. Oh my god. You guys have to look at this kitchen. Dream kitchen, right? Here’s a sneak peek of the photos Anna Grace got from our shoot. I’m on the edge of my seat. I cannot WAIT to see all of them. I think the hardest part will be to decide which ones I want to use! I honestly will probably do a blog post on them because why not? Maybe you can help me choose ;)
This coconut harissa curry braised chicken was dreamed up during my paleo challenge. And I think it was one of the best recipes I came up with while on the paleo challenge. I loved all the flavors and it worked SO well together. I was hesitant to combine harissa, curry, and coconut milk together but oh my gosh, it could not have worked out better. You will absolutely love this and best of all, it’s made in ONE-POT!! Holla!
Coconut Harissa Curry Braised Chicken
Servings are adjustable but please note that results, timing, and cookware may vary when adjusting servings.
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced yellow onions
- 1 1/4 cup diced butternut squash
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2/3 cup mild harissa, this is the one I used
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, this is my favorite - way more potent than what you typically get at the grocery store
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups kale leaves
- In a large heavy-bottom pot (such as a Dutch-oven), drizzle olive oil to the bottom of the pot and put it over high heat.
- Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides and add to the hot oil, skin-side down. You'll want to just brown the outside of the chicken, about 2 minutes each side. Remove from pan and place on a plate and set aside.
- Turn heat down to medium-high and add garlic and onions. Cook until fragrant and translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next, add the butternut squash and carrots. Cook until halfway cooked through, about 7-8 minutes. Add the harissa, curry powder, coconut milk, and more salt and pepper (to taste). Stir to incorporate. Add the chicken back in, bring mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Cook until chicken has fully cooked through, about 15 minutes, or longer depending on how thick your chicken thighs are.
- At the very end, stir in the kale leaves. If your mixture seems too thick, you can thin it out with chicken broth.
There are affiliate links within this post.