I feel like this is frito pie on crack.
If you’re looking for comfort food I feel like you don’t even need to look any further than this frito pie chili biscuit skillet.
It’s got chili, cheese, fritos, and flakey biscuits on top. Oh my freaking gosh.
This is definitely not something you should eat prior to trying to fit into a cocktail dress or anything. This is more of a stretchy yoga pants kind of day and we could always use many days like that, right?!
It’s been so freaking cold here (like 60’s in May?!) that this is the ultimate warm-me-up kind of dish.
I’m a cheater and I did not make the biscuits from scratch. And since we’re being honest here, I rarely ever make biscuits on my own because ugh, it’s just so much easier to pop open a can of biscuits than to get your bowls and fingers all dirty making biscuits from scratch. I’m seriously the worst.
I also grew up eating those grands flakey biscuits and lol, this is so bad but we ate them for breakfast some mornings. I wasn’t a very healthy kid lol
This also kind of reminds me of like a chili monkey bread or a pull apart bread of some sort. Except I think I like the ‘biscuit skillet’ name better. It’s much more intriguing, wouldn’t you think?
Frito Pie Chili Biscuit Skillet
For the chili
- .75 pounds 90/10 ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 15- ounce can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 15- ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, taste
- 3/4 cup crushed corn chips (such as Fritos), plus more for topping
- 16 ounce can of refrigerated flakey biscuits
- 1 cup freshly grated colby jack cheese
- In a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add a little bit of olive oil and then brown the ground beef, breaking into pieces with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Add the onion and minced garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the kidney beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasonings. Stir and cook until mixture is thickened and cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in crushed corn chips.
- Preheat oven to the temperature on the biscuit packaging.
- While the oven is preheating, open the biscuits then nestle the biscuits into the chili.
- Sprinkle cheese on top then bake in the oven according to the time on the biscuit package.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10-15 minutes then serve!