I recently spent a week in Charleston, SC and I ate some of the most indulgent food! If you followed me on Instagram, you’ll have seen all the glorious food I ate. It was definitely not paleo-friendly but a little indulgence here and there is okay. We also did walk over 4 miles one day in downtown Charleston so that definitely made up for all the ice cream and fried chicken :) I’ll have a post soon on all the delicious places to hit up in Charleston, SC!
Now that I’m back, it’s back to eating healthier and more paleo-friendly. Starting with this garlic coconut curry shrimp and chicken bowl! It seems like forever ago I was on my paleo challenge but it really impacted me because still today and everyday, I think about what I eat and how I can incorporate a healthier eating lifestyle. We cook with a lot more veggies now and I’m always trying to limit our carb consumption with upping the protein in any given dish.
If I were to pick a spice to cook with for the rest of my life, I think it would have to be curry powder. I have so many curry recipes on this blog and it was definitely the spice of choice during my paleo challenge. This dish was one I couldn’t forget and I’m so glad it turned out so I could share it with you guys! It’s so smooth and creamy from the coconut milk and the shrimp were lightly pan-fried for that crunchy exterior. I threw in chicken for that extra protein and added spinach for a bit of green. We devoured this! Now, I ate it as a soup but Jason had it over a bed of rice so either way you go with this, it’s perfect and comforting! Obviously if you put it over a bed of rice, it won’t be paleo anymore but it’s still pretty healthy regardless! And of course, I used my favorite curry powder. There is something about this curry powder that differs from all the rest. I’m pretty sure it’s the potency and unique flavor!
This garlic coconut curry shrimp bowl is bursting with rich flavor and paleo-friendly!
- 1/2 pound shrimp, shells removed and deveined
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cubed
- 1: 15 ounce can full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, coat shrimp with tapioca flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Once heated, add shrimp to the skillet and brown both sides of the shrimp to get a crispy exterior, about 1 minute on each side. Do not cook shrimp all the way through. Remove and set aside on a plate.
- In the same skillet, turn the heat down to medium and add the other tablespoon of coconut oil. Add onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle curry powder over the onion/garlic mixture and stir until incorporated. Add the cubed chicken breast and cook until generally cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Carefully pour the coconut milk into the skillet then season with salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate.
- Add the shrimp back into the skillet and let mixture simmer for 5 minutes until all the ingredients are cooked through.
- At the very end, stir in the spinach leaves and cook until wilted.
- Serve hot.
*Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
There are affiliate links within this post!