This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
Okay, here’s another one of those side dishes that I beg of you – please make from scratch! Seriously, this is so customizable that you really don’t need the box powder kind. It’s also very little effort to make and makes such a huge difference in taste and texture.
My favorite type of mashed potatoes is garlic (and lots of it!) and I like mine rather chunky. I can eat the smooth kind but I like the chunkiness in my mashed potatoes.
You probably don’t really need me to explain how to make mashed potatoes but I’ll give you the recipe anyway. You really can substitute whatever you want in here and you can mix it up and try out different ingredients and flavor. Instead of milk, you could use buttermilk. You could add bacon into it, chives, cheese, the possibilities are endless!
Now, go put that box away…
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 6 cups water
- 3 large russet potatoes, cut into 2-inch chunks
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup 2% milk, plus more if too dry
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- In large pot, bring water to boil then place potatoes chunks in water. Let cook in water for 10 minutes until fork tender.
- Carefully drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher or the back of a fork, mash the potatoes until desired consistency.
- Add in garlic powder, salt, pepper, and butter.
- Slowly add the milk making sure it won't make the mashed potatoes too runny. If you need more milk, add a little at a time.
- Stir around to incorporate.
- Serve warm with gravy.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Thursday 2nd of December 2021
This will be my go to recipe! I did double the garlic but I loved it and so did my partner. Very tasty!
Thursday 21st of March 2019
Thank you so much!!! This is my go to recipe! These are a hit when I make them which I have multiple times in the last 2 weeks.
Sunday 24th of March 2019
Sunday 10th of March 2019
DELICIOUS Just the taste I was hoping for Will make again and again
Monday 19th of February 2018
Thursday 23rd of November 2017
This is our second Thanksgiving that we have made these mashed potatoes for and we love them. We sub heavy whipping cream for the milk and use Kerrygold butter and they are heavenly!
Friday 24th of November 2017
Wonderful! So glad you have enjoyed over the years!