This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Jump to Video | Save RecipeSaved!
NEW VIDEO! Be sure to watch me how to make these honey lemon chia seed muffins in the video below!
The muffins are the ultimate springtime treat. They’re so full of lemon flavor that it seems like you’re smelling a lemon.
Lots of lemon juice and lemon zest is used in this recipe to give it the ultimate lemon bomb.
The muffin is so wonderfully scented when you take a bite. It’s also the lightest and fluffiest muffin I’ve ever made.
The secret ingredient to make it so light and fluffy? Ricotta cheese! Yes! I couldn’t believe it.
I’ve also recently become obsessed with chia seeds (pretty much like every other blogger) so I’ve been trying to incorporate them in my daily breakfast and some baked goods.
Instead of poppy seeds, substitute them for chia seeds!
Sure, you could make these into lemon poppy seed muffins but why not give into the latest superfood trend and give chia seeds a try? They’ve got a ton of health benefits!
Honey Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup part-skim ricotta cheese*
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons honey,, melted
- Cooking spray
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners and lightly spray them with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, mix together ricotta, water, olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and egg.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the wet ingredients into the middle then mix together with a wooden spoon. Add the chia seeds then gently fold into batter.
- Evenly divide batter into prepared muffin pan using a large scoop.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes then with a pastry brush, gently brush melted honey onto the tops of the muffins.
- Cool completely then enjoy!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
There are affiliate links within this post.
Sunday 22nd of May 2022
They taste bland and doughy. Not a great recipe
Wednesday 25th of May 2022
sorry to hear about this! i would like to know how you measured your flour and how much you mixed. if you overmix, it can make the results doughy and how you measure the flour affects it too. i'm also wondering how fresh your lemons were! thanks for helping me try to help you!
Wednesday 27th of April 2022
These muffins were delicious and light and fluffy, but not as lemony as I would have expected. Is there any way to increase the lemon flavor???
Thursday 28th of April 2022
more lemon zest and lemon extract
Wednesday 2nd of March 2022
These are delicious! My daughter is on a chia seed kick so I made these for us to share. Just as described… light, fluffy, full of lemon flavor. Makes a perfect dozen! I brushed orange blossom honey on top. Will definitely make these again!
Thursday 21st of October 2021
What a fabulous recipe! I forgot the egg but they still turned out amazing. A new favorite!
Wednesday 29th of September 2021
Very delicious! Made the recipe exactly as is except I made some technical errors like I forgot to grease the liners so they stuck a little. I also might have over mixed the batter because I added the chia seeds in after I combined everything, but they still came out with a nice texture. Brushed on fresh honey I got from a local farm and everyone in my family loved them.😎👍