These soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies are guaranteed going to be the softest and chewiest cookies you’ll ever make!
It’s so depressing to be back in DC after an amazing weekend in Austin. Not to mention we’re getting 4-6 inches of snow today. The weather in Austin was spectacular. I don’t even know how to emphasize how amazing Austin was. I seriously have a heavy heart thinking about the fact that we were just there and we had to already come back home so quickly. We want to go back and we want to move there. I think there’s a greater possibility now of convincing Jason to move there than there was before we went. He’s fallen in love with the city and well, I always knew it was a gem, so there’s no need to convince me. I cannot wait to share with y’all ALL the food we ate and everything we did. It’ll probably be three separate posts but man, it’s so worth it. I’m not kidding you, we ate so much on Saturday that I ended up throwing up later that night. I know, TMI, but that’s just how much there is to eat in Austin! Sadly, I did not find my lover boy, but what’s even more upsetting is that I found out later that he was TWO MILES from where I was on Saturday morning.
ANYWAY, much more on Austin in a few weeks. Let’s talk cookies! Super soft and chewy ginger molasses cookies, that is!
I know cookie season is pretty much gone and I probably should’ve posted these around Christmas time but alas, other recipes got in the way. Any time is a good time for cookies though, right? Especially soft and chewy cookies. Best combination ever. And the best combination of molasses cookies is the ginger spice. These cookies have it all. They are INCREDIBLY soft. Don’t the pictures show how pillowy they look? And the chew. You wouldn’t think these guys had that chewy bakery type cookie to them, but they do! I was really surprised. I also loved the perfect balance of molasses and spice these cookies had. I couldn’t get enough of them. Even after five days, these cookies were soft as pillows!
I brought a whole dozen and half of these to my wedding photographer’s spa day she had for her 2013 brides and us KJ brides could kill some cookies! A bunch of ladies even took some for the car ride home! I was really happy everyone enjoyed them as much as Jason and I did. Thankfully, this recipe makes over three dozen cookies so we were happily eating these for days :)
Soft and Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- 1 ½ cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
- ½ cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt, and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until combined. Add in the molasses and eggs and mix until incorporated.
- Slowly add in the flour mixture to the bowl of the stand mixer and mix until all is combined.
- Fill a small bowl with about 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Using a medium-sized cookie scoop (or 1 1/2 tbsp.), form dough into balls then gently roll them in the granulated sugar. Place onto baking sheets, about 2-inches apart. Repeat until all the cookie dough has been used up.
- Bake for 10 minutes (they will still look soft and undercooked but they cook while they cool and you want them to stay soft and chewy so remove them!) then let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
There are affiliate links within this post.