If you’re anything like me, all I have been craving lately is soup, soup, and more soup! The cold weather is really starting to kick in and the fleece leggings and thick fuzzy socks are all that I seem to wear 24/7. On top of all that, I feel like I have been having soup for lunch and dinner and now I just need a roaring fire in front of me to combat the chills!
It’s a good thing this spicy sausage and vegetable tortellini soup serves a lot and keeps well because the amount of soup we are having these days could feed an entire football team!
You seriously need to get this hearty, warm, and comforting soup on your stovetop and into multiple bowls! It’s the perfect way to warm up and it’s chock-full of veggies and deliciously cheesy tortellini.
Spicy Sausage and Vegetable Tortellini Soup
- 3/4 pound fresh spicy pork sausage, casing removed
- 1 1/2 cups finely sliced leeks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1: 15-ounce can Hunt's diced tomatoes
- 1 pouch (2 tablespoons) Hunt's Recipe Ready Tomato Paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 5 cups loosely packed tuscan kale leaves
- 2 cups cheese tortellini
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large 6-quart pot or heavy-bottomed pot like a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once oil has heated, add sausage and cook through, breaking into tiny pieces.
- Add leeks and garlic and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and toss. Add the diced tomatoes, paste, and bay leaf. Toss to incorporate.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring soup to a boil. Then reduce heat and let simmer, covered, until vegetables are softened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in kale leaves until wilted. Add the tortellini and cook from residual heat of the soup until softened and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Divide into bowls and serve. Leftovers can be put in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.