Happy Chinese New Year, everyone! Remember my giveaway last week? Well, there are two winners that have been announced! So head on over to that entry to see if you won! Thank you to everyone who participated. It definitely was a lot of fun seeing all the comments of who is what Chinese zodiac sign!
If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you might’ve seen that I was spending the day yesterday with my mom while my dad was at a Washington Wizards game with my brother. We went to the outlets (where I scored 4 new work shirts from LOFT for $39!) and then went back to her house where she showed me how to cook sticky rice! If you’ve never had this before, you must find yourself a Chinese restaurant and try it! I love the fluffy, chewy texture of this rice incorporated with the five spice seasoning. This was one of my favorite dishes growing up and I can remember having this very often, if not every weekend. It’s so easy to make, too :)
These are the ingredients you’ll need for the filling part of the rice. You may omit or add more of whichever as you wish. I hate cilantro so I have a bowl without it, but in the picture, it’s just there to look purty :) I know some of these ingredients are out there, but you can find most of these at your local Asian market or international mart.
- 5 cups sweet rice
- 1 cup of water
- 2-3 pieces spiced tofu,, diced
- 2 handfuls of reconstituted shiitake mushrooms,, sliced
- ¼ cup fried onions
- ¼ cup dried shrimp
- ½ cup preserved radishes
- couple ounces of pork,, sliced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon five spice powder
- 2 teaspoon white pepper
- Soak your rice overnight. This will help reduce cooking time A LOT.
- When ready, put your rice in the rice cooker. Do this by hand. Don't dump it all in, you will get unnecessary water if you just pour it from the bowl.
- Add in 1/4 cup of water (yes, really). Turn on the rice cooker, halfway through cooking, open it and mix around the rice. Once the rice cooker says it's done, let it sit for 10 minutes before opening it. After 10 minutes, open it, mix the rice around, add another 1/4 cup of water and cook it. Repeat until all the water has been used.
- Meanwhile, while the rice is cooking, cook the filling. In a large wok, add in the tofu, mushrooms, fried onions, dried shrimp, radishes, and pork. Saute for a few minutes then add 1/4 cup of the soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp. of the five spice powder and the white pepper. Cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Once rice is done, add that to the wok and start folding/stirring to incorporate everything. Add in the rest of the soy sauce and the five spice powder. If you think it needs more, add more. It's all to taste.
- This process should take about another 5 minutes to get everything incorporated and tasting just right. Serve hot.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.