As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchasesJump to Recipe | Jump to Video | Save RecipeSaved!
I know it’s like a bajillion degrees outside right now but there is something about Indian cuisine that I can have ALL YEAR LONG. I end up having cravings randomly and of course this week, when the heat index is in the 100’s, I’m craving this stovetop butter chicken.
I actually created a video for this stovetop butter chicken recipe in March when it was still abnormally freezing. We were so thankful for this recipe at that time because it just warms your right through! You can actually check out the full video out below!
Why this stovetop butter chicken recipe is so amazing?
Well, for one, the FLAVORS are incredible. There are a bunch of warming spices in this stovetop butter chicken that completely warm your soul. It’s like it is giving you a giant hug.
Two, if you’ve been intimidated to dabble in cooking/making Indian cuisine at home, this is a great beginner recipe!
And three, it really takes no time to put together on the stovetop.
We love serving this over basmati rice and with naan!
This stovetop butter chicken is so creamy and it’s not very hands on. You can marinade the chicken for as long as you have (I sometimes even prep it the morning of because of how simple it is to throw into a plastic bag).
It will taste fantastic no matter what!
This dish brings me back to London. I seriously CANNOT stop dreaming about the Indian dinner we had at Dishoom. Like hands down that was the best meal of my life so far. Well, ONE of the best meals of my life.
Jason and I still rave about Dishoom, dream about it, talk about it, recommend it to everyone.
If I can’t have Dishoom here in the states, this stovetop butter chicken recipe will have to do for now.
That is until I can get my butt over to England!!!
Be sure to watch me make this stovetop butter chicken in the video below!
Stovetop Butter Chicken
For the chicken marinade
For the rest of the dish
- 2-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, sliced or diced
- 1: 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pinch of cayenne for extra heat, optional
- Place the cubed chicken into a large resealable plastic bag. Then whisk the remaining ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and pour into plastic bag. Seal then using your hands, massage and mix the chicken until all is coated with the marinade. Marinade for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- When ready, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter in the skillet.
- Once the butter is melted, add the onion. Cook until the onions are tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the bag of chicken and the marinade into the skillet. Stir to incorporate then pour the tomatoes in. Stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered on medium heat until it comes to a simmer and until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, stir to incorporate and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add cayenne if you want more heat.
- Serve over basmati rice and with naan!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.