I love cookies that are bigger than my hand! They make it that more enjoyable to eat because it’s like a never-ending cookie. But all good things must come to an end so of course these hand-sized cookies only prolong the heavenly cookie effect for a tad longer than regular sized cookies :)
If you haven’t looked at your calendar, you may not have noticed that today is 12/12/12. I’m obsessed with dates that have some kind of pattern to them. Like 10/11/12 or 11/12/13. I wish I could get married on a “cool” date. My wedding photographer got married on 10/10/10, how fun! Ok, that’s my random tangent of the day.
So I think I’ve made these cookies over three times already since Lauren posted the recipe. I love how soft and chewy they are and I LOVE the ginger flavor. They’re definitely like a ginger snap cookie but without the snap. I’d call them ginger chews if I could, but then that sounds like a candy.
I decided that these would be the perfect and most holiday appropriate cookie to make for the 2nd annual Food Bloggers Cookie Swap!
I participated in this last year and definitely was excited when Lindsay & Julie decided to keep this tradition going! This year’s was a bit different (for a very good cause) because when you signed up, you had to pay $4 but that $4 was donated to OXO’s Cookies for Kids’ Cancer program. They’re matching donations, dollar for dollar, up to $100,00! Additionally, each participant got a Be a Good Cookie OXO Spatula!
My matches this year were: Cassie of Bake your Day, Monique of I Are The Food Snob (which is too funny because she sent ME cookies last year!), and Jennifer of Healthy Wifestyles. I sent all three of them regular versions of this cookie. I’m sure they all wanted the hand-sized ones but I would’ve had to triple my already doubled batch!
I received cookies from Mackenzie of Susie Freaking Homemaker, Lauren of Making Life Sweet, and Ashley of Girly Obsessions. Thank you ladies for your delicious cookies! Jason and I devoured each and every one of them. Nope, we didn’t share with our coworkers this time :) I wish I had gotten pictures of them but I tore into the packages too soon!
I can’t wait to do this again next year!
Molasses Ginger Cookies
Yield: 2 dozen | Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and brown sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add in the the egg and molasses. Beat until incorporated.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients until just combined. Drop onto prepared baking sheets with a cookie scoop. To make extra large sizes, I did two scoops of cookie dough, rolled in a ball, and gently pressed the tops down.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. I took mine out a minute before they were done as I like mine softer and chewier.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before removing baking sheets. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container.
All images and content are © Table for Two. Please do not republish anything without prior consent. If you want to share this recipe, please REWRITE the directions in your own words, use your own photos, and link back to this post to provide proper credit. Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this.