Mini Strawberry Heart Hand Pies
Love is in the air!!!
Okay, I totally don’t buy into the whole Valentine’s Day stuff but what kind of food blogger would I be if I didn’t share at least one Valentine’s Day recipe with you? I have several from years past that you are more than welcome to look at but I think this one I’m sharing with you today is just adorable beyond words!
What do you do for Valentine’s Day? If you’re a regular reader, you’ll know that Jason and I don’t do anything Valentine-y. The most we do is order take-out and watch movies and/or our favorite television shows. This year, more than likely we will be binging on Parenthood. We are not ones to fight others for reservations and pay an exorbitant amount of money for pre-fixe menus. From a business perspective, it’s totally smart to take advantage of the holiday but as a consumer, I’d rather just stay in the comforts of my own home :) way cheaper!
These mini heart-shaped hand pies are the perfect Valentine’s treat! I bet you your kids would love to help you decorate these for their classmates! You can fill them with whatever jam you want and they’re just so darn cute. I also love how easy they are to make. It literally takes no time because of the pre-made pie crust. I know, I know. If you are particular about pre-made pie crusts, you can definitely make your own :)
Are you doing the whole Valentine’s Day Dinner at home thing too? Check out some of my fellow food bloggers friends below for ideas for the perfect date night in!
Death by Chocolate from What’s Gaby Cooking
Mini Strawberry Heart Hand Pies from Table for Two
Crispy Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Picky Palate
Valentine Breakfast with Heart Pancake Art from A Spicy Perspective
Very Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies from Marla Meridith
Berry Heart Parfaits from Weelicious
Almond Sugar Hearts from Hola Jalapeño
Toasted Coconut Buttermilk Waffles from Country Cleaver
No Bake Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes with Chocolate Ganache from Baked by Rachel
Fill your day with some love from these mini heart-shaped hand pies!
- 1 package of pre-made 9-inch pie crusts, there should be two in a pack
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to temperature indicated on pie crust package. Mine was 450 degrees Fahrenheit but it varies so check the pie crust package!
- Roll out pie crust onto a flat surface and using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the crust. After you're done with one sheet, use up the other sheet, then combine the two cut-out sheets together and re-roll it out to create more.
- Place half the hearts onto a lined baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the hearts.
- With a 1/2 teaspoon measuring spoon, add jam into the center of the hearts then place the other half of the heart crust on top. Using the ends of a fork, press the edges together. Using a sharp knife, make a tiny X in the middle of the hearts to let steam escape.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the hearts with egg and add sprinkles, gently pressing them down onto the hearts.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes on the upper rack in the oven, or however long your package says to bake the pie crusts. You'll want a golden brown top.
- Remove and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
There are affiliate links within this post.
Posted on February 11, 2015