This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts are a unique and crispy treat! Enjoy these simple and nutritious veggies as a snack or side dish. You’ll love how super crispy they get in the air fryer and they’re extremely versatile too!
These air fryer smashed brussels sprouts remind me a lot of my smashed potatoes recipe. Basically taking a round ingredient, par-cooking it to get it soft, and then smashing it and baking it. It really does yield the most crispy edges and tender center. These brussels sprouts are going to be your new favorite side dish or even snack. Gasp, yes, I said brussels sprouts as a snack!
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
If you haven’t been able to tell already, I’m a huge brussels sprouts fan. I could probably start a fan club for them. Now, these air fryer brussels sprouts are a new favorite because:
- Irresistible. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside. These little bites completely transform when they’ve been fried. I swear they taste nothing like your grandmother’s brussels sprouts!
- Versatile and customizable. These brussels sprouts are super versatile. You can add on flavors and/or create some dips to dip these babies into. Check out the variations section below to see what I’ve done with them!
- Quick, easy, and virtually no clean up. Air fryers literally makes things in half the time and I’m definitely a convert. These sprouts take only about 6-7 minutes to make in the air fryer and the nonstick basket cleanup is a breeze!
Ingredients You’ll Need
Air fryer smashed brussels sprouts require just one ingredient! Can you guess it? Haha, make sure to scroll down to view the full recipe for exact measurements.
- Brussels sprouts – be sure to clean and trim them.
How To Make Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Here is a general overview of the steps involved to make smashed brussels sprouts in the air fryer. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
Par-boil the brussels sprouts. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add in the brussels sprouts. Boil for about 10 minutes or until just fork tender.
Smash them! Drain and place brussels sprouts onto a sheet pan. Using the bottom of a drinking glass or mason jar, gently smash the brussels sprouts until almost flattened but not all the way broken.
Preheat air fryer then air fry. Preheat your air fryer then add the brussels sprouts to the air fryer basket. Spray with cooking spray then air fry for 6-7 minutes at 370 degrees. Sometimes it may take a little longer but you’re looking for crispy browned edges and tops.
Can smashed brussels sprouts be made in the oven?
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can make this in the oven! You’ll just have to adjust the temperature and cook time. You’ll do the same initial steps but for the oven, you’ll want to bake them at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges and tops are crispy and browned.
The beauty of these air fryer smashed brussels sprouts is their versatility. They’re just as delicious with a sprinkle of sea salt as they are with your favorite topping. Here are some of my variations that I’ve done:
- Homemade Garlic Chili Crisp Oil – I love garlic chili crisp oil on everything but on these air fryer brussels sprouts just elevates them even more!
- Parmesan cheese – for that nutty, cheesy flavor. I like sprinkling parmesan cheese on before air frying so it can melt in the air fryer to create a crispy crust on top.
- Lemon pepper seasoning – if you’re feeling bright and citrusy!
- Old Bay seasoning – being from the DC area and so close to Maryland, Old Bay seasoning is a classic around these parts.
- Garlic salt – who doesn’t love garlic?
- Balsamic vinegar – that sweet, tangy flavor is delicious!
Tips for Success
Air fryer smashed brussels sprouts are pretty easy but there’s still some tips and tricks to these babies.
- Don’t skip parboiling. This is what softens and cooks the brussels sprouts halfway so you can smash them otherwise you’re going to break a glass and get seriously hurt!
- Don’t be too heavy-handed. You don’t want to completely smash the brussels sprouts all the way through. Just halfway so they stay in tact. Go slow and not too hard.
- Keep the fallen leaves. Some of the leaves when you trim and smash the brussels sprouts will be hanging onto dear life. Try to keep them on! They get extra crispy! And even if they do fall off, keep them and air fry them along with the smashed brussels sprouts. They’re like chips!
Storage and Reheating Instructions
These can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, pop back in the air fryer or toaster oven. Do not microwave!
What to Serve with Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Brussels sprouts make a great side dish to a heavier meal so if you’re looking to add a vegetable side dish to your meal, here are some meal ideas to make so you can incorporate these air fryer smashed brussels sprouts in:
- Air Fryer Blackened Chicken
- One Pot Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- Enchilada Pasta Casserole
Air Fryer Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- 14 ounces brussels sprouts, cleaned and trimmed
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil then add the brussels sprouts to the water. Parboil them for 10 minutes then immediately plunge into an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- While the brussels sprouts are cooling, preheat your air fryer.
- Place brussels sprouts onto a rimmed baking sheet and using the flat bottom of a drinking glass or mason jar, gently press on the brussel sprout until smashed. Repeat until all the sprouts are smashed.
- Carefully place the smashed brussels sprouts into the basket of the air fryer then lightly spray the tops of them with cooking spray. Add your seasonings now if you are using any (definitely salt them a bit).
- Set air fryer to 380 °F and cook for 6-7 minutes, or until edges are crispy and tops are browned.
- Remove and let cool. Top with your favorite toppings.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.