I am a huge fan of garlic butter, clearly. Everything that I’ve posted for 2017 Thanksgiving involves garlic in some way. Garlic paste, garlic crumble, and now we have garlic butter atop these crispy smashed potatoes. Garlic butter with RANCH and parmesan, might I add. Oh yeah, these are gonna be good.
This will actually be one of the easiest side dishes you put together. I mean, they’re all pretty easy but this one is really easy. You literally just boil some small potatoes and then smash them and drown them with garlic ranch butter and sprinkle parmesan on top. What a dreamy side dish!
My favorite part is that the broken skin gets so extremely crispy and it’s like eating the perfect french fry — crispy exterior and perfectly soft and fluffy interior.
If you’re bored with mashed potatoes, smashed potatoes are a great alternative. They’re basically mashed potatoes but less smooth and creamy, if that makes sense. They’re like the same thing but not.
An alternative to mashed potatoes! These smashed potatoes are topped with a garlic ranch butter and grated parmesan cheese!
- 2 pounds small red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon ranch powder
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the potatoes. Cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove and place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Gently, using a potato masher or similar, smash the potatoes. Not too hard or you'll end up with crumbled potatoes. Just enough pressure to smash them.
- In a small measuring cup, whisk together melted butter, ranch powder, and minced garlic.
- Evenly pour the butter mixture atop the smashed potatoes then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are brown and the edges/skin get crispy.
- Serve and enjoy!