Shaved Brussel sprouts with pancetta may make everyone a fan of Brussel sprouts
Brussel sprouts don’t look as gross when they’re shaved and tossed with a bunch of bacon. Am I right?
Jason LOVES brussel sprouts. I’ve never had one til I met him. I just thought they kinda looked gross. Like little wrinkly heads. It’s not like I never had it because I didn’t want to try it, I just never went out of my way to buy them and it’s not something I ordered at restaurants. My parents never cooked with them either. I love cabbage though so I knew I’d like cooking and eating shaved brussel sprouts.
Jason and I actually came up with this recipe together. He really had a huge craving for brussel sprouts and I needed one more recipe to complete my 10 days of Thanksgiving sides and desserts so I figured we’d collaborate on one of his favorite ingredients.
After making this, I’m a lover of brussel sprouts. Plus, the pancetta part wasn’t bad, either ;)
If you don't like brussels sprouts, this may change your mind!
- 1 pound shaved brussel sprouts
- 4 oz diced pancetta
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat up a tbsp. of vegetable oil and add the diced pancetta in. Cook until they're starting to brown on the outside, about 5 minutes.
- At this time, throw in the shallots and cook until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the shaved brussel sprouts to the pan and stir around. Add the apple cider vinegar on top, as well as the salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook down the brussel sprouts until they're soft and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm.