This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Cheesy Creamed Spinach is a comforting, yet fresh side dish – the best of both worlds! This easy recipe is elegant enough to be served as part of a holiday feast, but simple enough to enjoy as part of your normal weeknight routine. Fresh spinach is cooked to tender perfection in the best medley of cheesy, creamy ingredients!
Honestly, I think this might just be my most favorite way to eat spinach. It’s perfectly cooked enough so that it’s not totally wilted AND it’s smothered with the most incredible creamy sauce. Some of the ingredients that make the creamy sauce so good include onions, garlic, and both mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Oh, and the consistency? Swoon. It’s truly like enjoying bite after bite of the ultimate cheesy, creamy dream. You can make it for pretty much any holiday or just to dress up your next weeknight dinner at home.
Picture vibrant green leaves, perfectly wilted and bathed in a luxuriously creamy sauce that will make even self-proclaimed spinach and vegetable haters want a bite! Each bite is full of rich flavors, from the silky texture of the cream to the subtle hint of garlic and nutmeg. Whether you pair it with a steak for an at-home steakhouse date night or have it on its own, creamed spinach promises to satisfy with every bite!
Why You’ll Love This
- So easy to make. You can have this side dish on your table in less than thirty minutes! It’s so very easy to make in just a few simple steps.
- Nutritious and delicious. It may be an overused phrase, but it’s true! The spinach in this recipe offers plenty of nutritional benefits while still being oh so cheesy and delicious. If you have a hard time eating veggies, this is a great way to sneak them on your plate.
- Perfect for the holidays. Whether it’s Easter or Christmas, this versatile, classic, and elegant veggie side dish is perfect for plating next to your other holiday staples.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Here is a list of ingredients you will need to make this creamed spinach recipe. Make sure to scroll down to view the full recipe for exact measurements.
- White onion
- Salt and pepper
- Heavy cream
- Fresh spinach
- Mozzarella cheese
- Cream cheese
How To Make Creamed Spinach
Here is a general overview of the steps involved to make the very BEST creamed spinach! Be sure to scroll to the bottom of this post for the full recipe.
Sauté the onion and garlic. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the onions and cook until softened. Toss in the garlic and cook for another minute or so.
Blanch the spinach. Add spinach to a boiling pan of water. Let it sit for about 1 minute. Remove the blanched spinach from the hot water and add it to an ice water bath. Drain it, then squeeze dry.
Make it creamy and cheesy! Stir in the heavy cream, cream cheese, and both cheeses to the onions and garlic. Cook until bubbly.
Add the spinach and serve. Chop the spinach and stir it into the creamy mixture. Cook for another 2 minutes to warm through, then serve.
Recipe Tips, Substitutions, and Variations
- Make it low-fat. You can use low-fat cheeses and cream cheese when making this recipe. However, you should note that your consistency won’t be as creamy or thick as it could be with full fat products.
- Make it more garlicky. If you’re a garlic lover, feel free to double the amount of garlic in this recipe. Just note that it’ll have a very profound garlic flavor! You can also sprinkle in some garlic powder to really seal the deal.
- Use fresh spinach. I’ve tried this recipe with both frozen and canned spinach and neither of them ever get the consistency quite right. Blanching fresh spinach always creates the best bite!
- Grate your own parmesan. This makes a world of difference. When you buy pre-shredded parmesan, it’s coated in an anti-caking powder that prevents it from clumping in the bag. That can also prevent it from fulling melting into the cream sauce like we need it to.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Once it’s cooled to room temperature, transfer the creamed spinach to an airtight container and keep it stored in the fridge for about 3-4 days. It reheats well in the microwave! Just zap it in 30 second intervals and stir every time it stops until it’s warmed all the way through.
What to Serve with Cheesy Creamed Spinach
There are so many entrees that go well with cheesy creamed spinach! Some of my favorites include (but certainly aren’t limited to) parmesan crusted chicken, baked glazed ham and oven roasted pork chops.
Cheesy Creamed Spinach
- 4 Tablespoons (56 g) unsalted butter
- ½ cup (80 g) minced white onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup (236 ml) heavy cream
- 16 ounce (454 g) bag fresh spinach
- 1 cup (112 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces (113 g) cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (50 g) shredded parmesan cheese
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter and cook the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and cook an extra minute.
- While the onions are cooking, heat a large pan of water. When it begins to boil, add the spinach and blanch for one minute. Remove from the water and add to an ice water bath. Drain and squeeze dry.
- Add the heavy cream, mozzarella, cream cheese and parmesan to the onions and cook till warmed and bubbly.
- Chop the spinach and add to the creamy mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve with your favorite main dish.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.