This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.Jump to Recipe | Save RecipeSaved!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken is the popular dish from Longhorn Steakhouse that is incredibly easy to make at home! Chicken breast is topped with a cheesy, garlicky, crunchy crust that is irresistible and packed with flavor. This copycat recipe is perfect for a weeknight dinner!
One of my favorite things to do is recreate restaurant favorites at home. There’s something satisfying about being able to recreate it in your own kitchen and having it be just like you were in the restaurant ordering it off the menu.
This parmesan crusted chicken from Longhorn is no exception. It’s as if you were at the steakhouse ordering it off the menu! I personally think this copycat version is slightly better than the restaurant because you can control how much of that cheesy, crunchy topping you get and let’s be real – we love a good crust piled mile high!
Why You’ll Love It
Restaurant favorite at home. There’s nothing like making a restaurant favorite right in your own home. You can skip the lines, the wait, and the whole leaving the house thing.
Cheesy, garlicky, crunchy. The topping is quite possibly the best part! Garlicky panko breadcrumbs on top of the cheesy layer just sounds so amazing, doesn’t it?!
Satisfying and comforting. Parmesan crusted chicken will definitely satisfy all your cravings for a cheesy chicken dish.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Italian salad dressing
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Ranch dressing
- Provolone cheese
- Panko breadcrumbs
How to Make Parmesan Crusted Chicken (Longhorn Copycat)
Pound and marinate chicken breasts. Pound chicken breasts to ½ inch thick. Marinate the chicken in Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes or overnight in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or a large freezer bag.
Sear the chicken. Place cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add olive oil to the pan. Using tongs, add the marinated chicken and sear for 5 minutes per side (or until cooked through).
Make the sauce. Stir together parmesan cheese and ranch dressing. Spoon and smooth this over the chicken breasts then place 1 slice of provolone cheese on each breast.
Broil chicken and make panko topping. Place the skillet directly into the oven (only if it’s an oven-safe skillet rated for high temps!) and broil the top of the chicken breast. While the chicken is broiling, combine butter, panko, seasonings, and parmesan cheese.
Finish off the chicken. Once the chicken is done broiling and the cheese is browned and melted, crumble the panko mixture on top and return to broil until topping is browned.
Storage and Reheating Instructions
Leftovers should be stored in an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to five days. Reheat in the toaster oven or microwave. If reheating in the toaster oven, place a piece of foil on top of the chicken or wrap it in foil to heat to prevent the top from browning too much.
What should I serve with parmesan crusted chicken? Mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, biscuits, and roasted veggies, or salad go well with this.
I can’t find provolone cheese – what else could I use? Try Monterey or Colby Jack, mozzarella, fontina, gouda, muenster, or Swiss instead. If you can’t find slices, either shred it or chop it up.
I don’t have any Italian salad dressing – what else could I use? If you have Greek dressing, you could use that. Otherwise, whisk together ½ cup olive oil, 2 Tablespoons vinegar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon oregano, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, ¼ teaspoon pepper to use as the marinade.
More chicken recipes for easy weeknight dinner!
Parmesan Crusted Chicken (Longhorn Copycat)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (divided)
- ½ cup ranch dressing
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- ¼ cup salted butter, melted
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Optional garnish – fresh parsley chopped
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.
- Pound chicken breasts to ½ inch thick.
- Marinate the chicken in Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes (overnight works too) in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or a large freezer bag.
- Place olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Heat to medium high heat. Using tongs, add the marinated chicken and sear for 5 minutes per side (or until cooked through). You don’t want to just pour all of the marinade into the cast iron skittle or you will have TOO much liquid, just use tongs to take the chicken breasts out of the marinade and place in the skillet.
- Stir together ¼ cup parmesan cheese and ranch dressing. Spoon and smooth this over the chicken breasts. Place 1 slice of provolone cheese on each breast.
- Place the skillet with chicken in it directly into the oven and allow it to broil on low for 3-5 minutes. While this is broiling, combine the melted butter, panko crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper and the remaining ¼ cup of parmesan cheese. Then remove the pan from the oven, crumble this mixture over the chicken, return it and continue to broil until golden brown.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Thursday 23rd of February 2023
I made this for my 4 picky children and my even pickier husband. It was a hit! Clean plates all around!
Sunday 19th of February 2023