If you’re looking for your next favorite cookie, these dark chocolate and cherry cookies are it.
My friend gave me this recipe and told me that I HAD to make it. She said she had already made it three times.
I was skeptical.
I love cookies just as much as the next person but I mean, how special could these dark chocolate and cherry cookies be?
They’re just dark chocolate and cherry.
I could buy cherries and dip them in dark chocolate.
I know, I was being stubborn.
I hate baking and I’m not a fan of whipping out all these measuring cups, spoons, bowls, and having to do all that cleanup.
But since she insisted I just try it once, I gave it a shot.
Ummm. Foot in mouth.
These dark chocolate and cherry cookies are FREAKING PHENOMENAL.
There is just something about dark chocolate and cherries.
The flavor combination is phenomenal.
I was really surprised making these cookies, I thought they would just be like ordinary cookies but omg, they are just truly so out of this world.
I love how soft and tender the center is and the edges are slightly crispy.
The tart cherries stay soft throughout and it’s just such a great burst of flavor to offset the bitterness of the dark chocolate.
I don’t love dark chocolate, can I use regular chocolate?
The dough is so thick.
Yes, the dough is verrrrry thick. It’s almost fudge-like!
What if I don’t have a stand mixer?
You can use a hand mixer but I will warn you, standard spatula and elbow-grease is probably better because since the batter is so thick, the hand mixer won’t be powerful enough.
Learn from me. Stick to a stand mixer or by elbow-grease but it is a workout and your arm will certainly be tired!
Can I use sweet cherries?
Sure. I love tart cherries though because it gives it that bite of tartness to cut the sweet of the cookie.
Can I use fresh cherries?
No, I’d stick to dried tart cherries.
What other dried fruit can I use?
You could substitute out for whatever dried fruit but I implore you to try dried cherries. They’re just so good in this recipe!
How do you get the chocolate puddles on top?
2 minutes before they were done baking, I pulled them out of the oven and pushed a chocolate wafer chip on top.
What is the texture of your dark chocolate and cherry cookie?
So incredibly soft and tender with a slight crisp on the edges.
As you can see in the photos, the center is so fudgy and moist.
Do I have to sprinkle salt on top?
You don’t have to but goodness, the tart, sweet, and salty combination is simply amazing.
Can I freeze the dark chocolate and cherry cookies?
Yes, you can freeze the raw dough (form them into cookie shapes first) and put them in a plastic freezer bag.
More cookies with fruit combinations:
- Breakfast cookies
- Chewy honey oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Oatmeal cranberry cookies
- Cranberry white chocolate cookies
Dark Chocolate and Cherry Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky or kosher salt
- 1 cup room temp unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried tart cherries, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup bittersweet mini chocolate chips
- Bittersweet chocolate wafer chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep cookie sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl and whisk.
- Add butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to mixing bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment. Mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs – one at a time – mix until thoroughly combined (scrape down sides of the bowl after each addition). Next, incorporate vanilla into the sugar mixture.
- Next, slowly add dry mixture to wet ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add cherries and chocolate chips to mixture and combine with spatula.
- Use a medium sized ice cream scoop to distribute dough on to cookie sheets.
- Depending on how your oven bakes: Bake for 13-15 minutes until center of cookie is just set. Transfer to rack to cool. Enjoy!
Pretty sure you need these dark chocolate and cherry cookies in your life! I mean, just look at that melted chocolate and fudgy center!!