If you’re looking for your next favorite cookie, these dark chocolate and cherry cookies are it.
My friend gave me this recipe and told me that I HAD to make it. She said she had already made it three times.
I was skeptical.
I love cookies just as much as the next person but I mean, how special could these dark chocolate and cherry cookies be?
They’re just dark chocolate and cherry.
I could buy cherries and dip them in dark chocolate.
I know, I was being stubborn.
I hate baking and I’m not a fan of whipping out all these measuring cups, spoons, bowls, and having to do all that cleanup.
But since she insisted I just try it once, I gave it a shot.
Ummm. Foot in mouth.
These dark chocolate and cherry cookies are FREAKING PHENOMENAL.
There is just something about dark chocolate and cherries.
The flavor combination is phenomenal.
I was really surprised making these cookies, I thought they would just be like ordinary cookies but omg, they are just truly so out of this world.
I love how soft and tender the center is and the edges are slightly crispy.
The tart cherries stay soft throughout and it’s just such a great burst of flavor to offset the bitterness of the dark chocolate.
I don’t love dark chocolate, can I use regular chocolate?
The dough is so thick.
Yes, the dough is verrrrry thick. It’s almost fudge-like!
What if I don’t have a stand mixer?
You can use a hand mixer but I will warn you, standard spatula and elbow-grease is probably better because since the batter is so thick, the hand mixer won’t be powerful enough.
Learn from me. Stick to a stand mixer or by elbow-grease but it is a workout and your arm will certainly be tired!
Can I use sweet cherries?
Sure. I love tart cherries though because it gives it that bite of tartness to cut the sweet of the cookie.
Can I use fresh cherries?
No, I’d stick to dried tart cherries.
What other dried fruit can I use?
You could substitute out for whatever dried fruit but I implore you to try dried cherries. They’re just so good in this recipe!
How do you get the chocolate puddles on top?
2 minutes before they were done baking, I pulled them out of the oven and pushed a chocolate wafer chip on top.
What is the texture of your dark chocolate and cherry cookie?
So incredibly soft and tender with a slight crisp on the edges.
As you can see in the photos, the center is so fudgy and moist.
Do I have to sprinkle salt on top?
You don’t have to but goodness, the tart, sweet, and salty combination is simply amazing.
Can I freeze the dark chocolate and cherry cookies?
Yes, you can freeze the raw dough (form them into cookie shapes first) and put them in a plastic freezer bag.
More cookies with fruit combinations:
- Breakfast cookies
- Chewy honey oatmeal chocolate chip cookies
- Oatmeal cranberry cookies
- Cranberry white chocolate cookies
Dark Chocolate and Cherry Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon flaky or kosher salt
- 1 cup room temp unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dried tart cherries, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup bittersweet mini chocolate chips
- Bittersweet chocolate wafer chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prep cookie sheet with silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl and whisk.
- Add butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to mixing bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment. Mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs – one at a time – mix until thoroughly combined (scrape down sides of the bowl after each addition). Next, incorporate vanilla into the sugar mixture.
- Next, slowly add dry mixture to wet ingredients and mix on low until just combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add cherries and chocolate chips to mixture and combine with spatula.
- Use a medium sized ice cream scoop to distribute dough on to cookie sheets.
- Depending on how your oven bakes: Bake for 13-15 minutes until center of cookie is just set. Transfer to rack to cool. Enjoy!
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
Pretty sure you need these dark chocolate and cherry cookies in your life! I mean, just look at that melted chocolate and fudgy center!!