Fa la la la la la la la la. Yes, I totally counted that.
Christmas treats are so fun to make and these holiday rice krispies are no exception. I made an entire 9×13 pan-full of them and ate all the scraps that were remaining after I cut out the Christmas shapes.
Jason was like, “you tore through those.” Uh yeah, so what? Rice krispy treats are my WEAKNESS. They slay me. I can’t stop eating them. Once I start, it all goes downhill for me. I just love the chewiness of the marshmallow and the crunch of the rice cereal. When I was little, we would go to Costco and buy those big boxes of rice krispy treats. You know, the shiny blue wrapping with Snap, Krackle, and Pop on the outside? I always found it really funny that on the box of rice krispy cereal, they gave you instructions on how to make rice krispy treats but still sold them anyway cause they know how lazy people really get ;)
I decided to have some fun with these this year and the cookie cutters I used, I actually got at the Mixed conference I was at a couple weeks ago. Christmas tree and an ornament – cute, no? Dipping them in chocolate and sprinkling crushed peppermint candies on top made them even more special! I boxed them up and gave them to our friends :)
This is a foolproof recipe (I guess unless you burn your marshmallow lol) so you must make these! First you melt 6 tbsp. butter. Then throw in your large puffy marshmallows. Melt it all down then cut the heat & throw in 5-6 cups of rice cereal – depends on how chewy you like yours, use 5 cups if you like more marshmallow. Stir it around then throw in 1 cup of mini Christmas colored M&M’s. Some will melt on you, that’s expected, but for the most part, they stay intact and you’ll have pretty M&M’s studded all over the rice krispy treats. Pour the mixture into a 9×13 pan then press gently on top to flatten. Use a large piece of parchment paper as a placemat for your chocolate covering workstation :)
These rice krispie treats dressed up with chocolate and crushed peppermint candies are perfect for the holidays!
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 bag of large marshmallows
- 5-6 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup mini M&M's
- 1 cup chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- In a large pot, melt 6 tbsp. of butter. Add in marshmallows and stir to melt them. Remove from heat after marshmallows have melted.
- Pour the rice cereal into the marshmallow mixture. If you prefer more marshmallow, then add only 5 cups.
- Stir the mixture to get all the rice cereal coated with the marshmallow. Then gently stir in 1 cup of mini M&M's.
- Dump entire mixture into a non-stick 9x13 baking pan. Using the back of a spatula, gently press the mixture down until the top is nice and even. Place in fridge to cool faster.
- Using Christmas cutouts, cut out shapes and set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring after every 30 seconds until completely melted.
- Dip half of the rice krispy treat in the melted chocolate then immediately sprinkle peppermint candies on top. Lay rice krispy treats on a flat surface (covered with wax or parchment paper) to dry.
- Store in an airtight container.