This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Homemade Tahini Sauce a simple 2 ingredient recipe perfect for making hummus.
Table of Contents
You can’t deny that hummus is one of those superfoods that us health nuts (or not) can’t get enough of. I remember in college, all the girls at the gym would be like, “omgz, I LUUUURRRRVVVEEEE hummus, I like eat it like everyday! It’s like so filling and like amazing!”
I didn’t know what all this rage over hummus was, I thought it looked gross and like a pale paste that you put on your face at a spa. Yeah, I was totally living under a fossil and didn’t care for it.
UNTIL. They had samples at Costco (aren’t those the best?!) and I fell in love. I wanted their entire tub. I would’ve fought the sample lady for it, ha!
To make hummus, it requires tahini. I didn’t want to spend $7 on a bottle at Whole Foods. I didn’t think I’d be able to use it quickly, so making my own was just easier (it’s TWO ingredients) and I could control how much of it I wanted to make.
Homemade Tahini Sauce
- ½ cup (118 g) white, unhulled sesame seeds
- Olive oil
- Toast sesame seeds on low heat in a skillet for 10-15 minutes until seeds are toasted, stirring often, careful not to burn them.
- Let sesame seeds cool for about 10-15 minutes before putting in food processor.
- When ready add sesame seeds to food processor and drizzle 3 tbsp. of olive oil to get it started. As it’s processing, drizzle in more olive oil until it comes together in a liquid paste. Not too thin or too thick.
- This can be covered and refrigerated for a few weeks.
This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience and as a courtesy only. Nutrition information can vary for a variety of reasons. For the most precise nutritional data use your preferred nutrition calculator based on the actual ingredients you used in the recipe.
The default measuring system for this website is US Customary. Unit conversions are provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. While we strive to provide accurate unit conversions, please be aware that there may be some discrepancies.