I added a new feature on the homepage of the website if you haven’t seen it! At the top, there are three ‘featured’ posts that feature my favorite recipes for the season or recipe ideas for dinner and/or parties. I hope those callouts help feature recipes that you may not have seen before and/or ones that you haven’t gotten a chance to try yet. :)
Osso buco is one of those dishes that seem super intimidating because all fancy restaurants have it on their menu. The name is fancy but that’s the only thing that’s fancy about it. Everything about osso buco is simple especially the preparation of it in a slow cooker. I guess everything but the flavor. That is quite possibly the best part when you first take a bite into this slow cooker osso buco.
This slow cooker osso buco recipe comes from Gina Homolka, blogger of Skinnytaste and NYT best-selling author (twice) for her cookbooks! This recipe comes from her latest cookbook, Skinnytaste Fast and Slow, and already one of my favorites in my large collection of cookbooks. I love the variety of recipes in it but most importantly, all the quick recipes for busy weeknights and also the slow cooker recipes. Who doesn’t love a good slow cooker recipe?
Not to mention her recipes are healthy, as well, which is in line with her blog’s philosophy: delicious, healthy, low fat, family-friendly!
This slow cooker osso buco was phenomenal. Fork tender and full of flavor. As Gina says, “as it cooks over the course of the day, the house becomes filled with a savory ‘welcome home’ aroma.”
Special occasion or cravings for that restaurant dish, you can’t go wrong with making this at home in the slow cooker and being in the comfort of your own home!
Slow Cooker Osso Buco
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 pieces veal shank, each about 1 1/4 inches thick (about 2 pounds total)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- Chopped fresh parsley, for topping
- Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Season veal shanks with salt then sear all four sides until browned but not cooked through. Add to the insert of a slow cooker.
- Then add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, beef broth, black pepper, thyme, and rosemary. Stir to mix a bit.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Discard sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top prior to serving, if desired.
There are affiliate links within this post.