Warning: this is highly addictive. Table for Two is not liable for any injury that may occur from you fighting over the crumbs with your family members.
With that said, I’m sure you all know what this is. It’s been all over the web, it’s been in your family’s recipe arsenal for generations.
When I first had this, I was a non-believer. And now, I’m a believer. Saltines with chocolate and caramel = win.
This takes only about, 10 minutes to make, an hour or so to completely chill, and you have yourself a highly addictive treat for this upcoming Christmas day :)
Yield: 25-30 servings | Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes
40 saltine crackers (approx. 1 sleeve)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans (optional, clearly I didn’t use any)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a 9×13″ jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper, line the saltine crackers side by side until the entire pan is filled.
- In a saucepot, melt butter and sugar together. Bring to boil then let boil for 3-5 minutes, do not stir.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the saltines then place in oven to bake for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a microwave safe bowl, gently melt the chocolate, stirring in between 30 second intervals.
- Remove pan of saltines from oven and pour chocolate evenly on top of the caramel, spreading it evenly and smoothing it out. If you’re using chopped pecans or nuts, this is now the time to sprinkle them on.
- Let the toffee and chocolate cool completely. I popped mine in the fridge for about an hour.
- Once cool, break into 2 inch pieces.
- Store in an airtight container if you have any leftovers.